Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would consider just driving up to Baltimore after the game and eating there. It isn't that far and you will miss rush hour traffic on Monday morning by driving up on Sunday evening.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    One of the former Top Chef guys has a good burger place up on Capitol Hill. But, double check bc the Sunday hours were weird. I'm trying to think of places on that end of things. Where are you staying after the game? Maybe eat somewhere near there.
    staying at marriott capitol hill/navy yard - if i recall, i think we picked it b/c it should be pretty close to the ballpark, right?
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I would consider just driving up to Baltimore after the game and eating there. It isn't that far and you will miss rush hour traffic on Monday morning by driving up on Sunday evening.
    oh, no driving here. we're doing an amtrack tour. lord help us. all trains, all the way.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

lyt202 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

The Burger place, Good Stuff, is at third and Pennsylvania which is a quick drive from the ballpark. There is also We the Pizza next door. The burgers are hit or miss and the service is not great. I prefer Shake Shack. For a quick meal in that same area, we like District Taco.

Some good sit down places for kids in the Gallery Place area close to the mall are Jaleo ( tapas) and Hill Country (BBQ). Also Matchbox has a location on the hill and gallery place - good for mini burgers and pizza.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you're getting into Baltimore at 11 am, I'll just warn you that the green line metro into downtown DC is very crowded in the mornings.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No idea where what area you will be in DC or if you like Mexican, but my friend who lives in DC recommended Tortilla Coast when we went this spring and we had a great meal there. Fun place, good food and drinks. My kids like really like mexican so it worked well for us...think they have several locations if I remember correctly.

I was in Philly this summer with our 6 and 9 year old. The two best things were opposite ends of the price scale. For free, we loved the self-guided tour of the US Mint, one of 9ish facilities where they produce the nation's coins. Interesting displays running in a U shape above the factory floor, which you could view through full-length windows. For $$, we loved the Franklin Institute (science museum). They have a brand new very interactive brain exhibit where we spent all our time. We had reciprocal membership at the Franklin Institute through another museum membership, so the visit was extra great for being free. We also did a 2 hour walking tour booked through the Visitor Center (ok, but not great), a visit to the top of City Hall (ok, very short, expensive for the length of time you're there) and a Philadelphia 360 show (not very good). We would have gone to Independence Hall, but you must sign up for tickets in the morning in person and they usually are all booked by noon. If you're family likes Asian food, there is a small Chinatown in Philly with some good restaurants and good price. We've eaten at Rangoon (Burmese) several times and loved it, and Banana Leaf (Malayasian) and usually loved it.
    Last edited by american_mama; 08-22-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Food at Camden yards is pretty good. There is a kid activity area inside the stadium, near the entrance, first base side-- moon bounce, playset, baseball skill activities, all free. Harbor is all chains, for places outside the stadium, walk to federal hill or take water taxi to fells point or harbor east.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    I was in Philly this summer with our 6 and 9 year old. The two best things were opposite ends of the price scale. For free, we loved the self-guided tour of the US Mint, one of 9ish facilities where they produce the nation's coins. Interesting displays running in a U shape above the factory floor, which you could view through full-length windows. For $$, we loved the Franklin Institute (science museum). They have a brand new very interactive brain exhibit where we spent all our time. We had reciprocal membership at the Franklin Institute through another museum membership, so the visit was extra great for being free. We also did a 2 hour walking tour booked through the Visitor Center (ok, but not great), a visit to the top of City Hall (ok, very short, expensive for the length of time you're there) and a Philadelphia 360 show (not very good). We would have gone to Independence Hall, but you must sign up for tickets in the morning in person and they usually are all booked by noon. If you're family likes Asian food, there is a small Chinatown in Philly with some good restaurants and good price. We've eaten at Rangoon (Burmese) several times and loved it, and Banana Leaf (Malayasian) and usually loved it.
    I agree for with lots of this. The franklin institute is great for 5 and up. The science museum next door is also great. The various parks/squares are great to walk around. I love reading terminal market on a Saturday. The Amish are there. Great pretzels and donuts. If you DS likes history which I seem to remember, I love the constitution center. It starts with a presentation with a live person and video around it. Really cool. The mint sounds awesome too.

Without a car, you aren't going to go to Smith or Please Touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Post-game in DC, maybe have a taxi drive you around to see some of the embassies? (There also might be an official tour that does this.) DS might get a kick out of ID'ing the flags. There's a Shake Shack at Dupont Circle (near most of the embassies IIRC) if you want to do a simple, quick dinner.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast