Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    I'm being asked by a colleague to use this for texting. I am really leery to use anything but the native text app that the phone came with. Why? I dunno. But not sure I wanna DL this or not. This person is in India, so it would be helpful in some ways.
    I use it quite a bit, with my sister in the US and friends in Asia. It is quite straightforward and easy, I have no problems with it.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, but here's what I don't get. Why does it need access to everything on my phone? When I see it wanting my contcts and calendar I balk as a rule. For a messenger app, ok, I guess it needs to be able to find them to, ya know, send. Ok, fine. Why my photos? Why can't it just ask my permission each time I attach a photo? Why all out access? Why does it need my camera and mic? Why not ask each time I use it? I don't like that part.

Oh, and "Other." Doesn't even say what the "Other" stuff is that it needs access to. What the heck is that?!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, but here's what I don't get. Why does it need access to everything on my phone? When I see it wanting my contcts and calendar I balk as a rule. For a messenger app, ok, I guess it needs to be able to find them to, ya know, send. Ok, fine. Why my photos? Why can't it just ask my permission each time I attach a photo? Why all out access? Why does it need my camera and mic? Why not ask each time I use it? I don't like that part.

Oh, and "Other." Doesn't even say what the "Other" stuff is that it needs access to. What the heck is that?!
    Every app I've ever installed has scary permissions disclaimers. I hate it, but it's not out of the norm.

Used it when husband and son were in Africa this June and worked great. Also used it a bit when I was in England and France. Read about it on legit travel blogs and no worries at all. Very common for international texting.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Every app I've ever installed has scary permissions disclaimers. I hate it, but it's not out of the norm.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

That is basic boilerplate language. No one cares about your phone photos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    My daughter also has a iPod Touch. We have Androids, so, no iMessage.

We use Google Voice, works GREAT. I was scared of the bad reviews, but I guess just iUsers not liking Google? I don't know. I had tried a number of different texting apps before Google Voice b/c of the bad reviews, they were all terrible!! Google Voice works super well on her Touch, no weirdness, no anonymous "friends", etc. You can't even send pix. She can use Gmail to do that, if she wants. I got her her own Gmail account, but I see EVERYTHING on my phone/computer, so that's nice too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...318698524?mt=8
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    I should clarify, the iTouch is the only thing that we installed Google Voice on. She basically gets a virtual phone # from Google and we text that # with our regular texting app from our Droids. She basically has GV for texting anyone not on an Apple product and iMessage for all the Apple folks.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I should clarify, the iTouch is the only thing that we installed Google Voice on. She basically gets a virtual phone # from Google and we text that # with our regular texting app from our Droids. She basically has GV for texting anyone not on an Apple product and iMessage for all the Apple folks.
    That exactly what I'm looking for. My MIL really wanted an iPhone so she could text and FaceTime my kids, but FIL decided to get samsung things instead.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    That exactly what I'm looking for. My MIL really wanted an iPhone so she could text and FaceTime my kids, but FIL decided to get samsung things instead.
    Can you try Skype for a FaceTime replacement?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3