Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macrocephaly

Default Macrocephaly

DS2 may have Macrocephaly but won't know until he had his head ultrasound next week to determine, then a consult with a pediatric neurosurgeron following week. Does anyone DC have it or went through similiar process to only find out it's just a big head and nothing more?

I'd appreciate some P&T our way trying hard NOT to google more, as the basic description is freaking me out already!

Although DS1's head always measured big at every wellness visit, so we're thinking DS2 is the same. At least that's what I'm hoping that is the case for ds2.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A good friend of mine has a DS with a big head, so large that there were concerns - I think it was the same potential diagnosis. His head was big enough not to fit through her pelvis at birth - she had a truly medically necessary C-section to have him.

After they looked into it (also ultrasound, I think), he just did indeed have big noggin. He has always been a very bright little boy, his dad is extremely intelligent - maybe there are more smarts in there? Hopefully things work out the same way for yours.

PT's and hugs.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 08-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just wanted to say that, if your older child always measured big, I'm guessing it might just be that and nothing to worry about. I know it's hard not to worry, but try to stay positive.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

P&PT. DS2 had hydrocephalus as an infant and was treated. LMK if you have questions. Hopefully it is just a genetic big head but nothing to cause any concern.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Ds has a larger than average head. Sometimes I call him my little bobblehead! He is in the bottom percentiles for height and weight, but his head has always been larger than average. Of course, DH also has a somewhat larger than normal head, so it's genetic in our case. DH is super-smart, so maybe they just have bigger brains?

I hope that it turns out to be nothing serious. Try not to Google (I know, I'd do it too!) and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All of my dc have had larger than normal heads. I think the ultrasound techs commented on each one of them and their head size in utero. Even now ds2 is in the 90th percentile for head size. I hope it's nothing and they are just covering all bases to make sure your DS is ok!!! Good luck!!!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    Ds has a larger than average head. Sometimes I call him my little bobblehead! He is in the bottom percentiles for height and weight, but his head has always been larger than average. Of course, DH also has a somewhat larger than normal head, so it's genetic in our case. DH is super-smart, so maybe they just have bigger brains?

I hope that it turns out to be nothing serious. Try not to Google (I know, I'd do it too!) and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    This is our situation, too. DS's head has been off the charts since he was born (also a c-section because his head wouldn't fit). My DH has a very large head as well, he can never find hats that fit. And he is also very smart - maybe there's a correlation?

I hope your case also turns out to be nothing serious. Sending hugs and PT.
    DS age 9

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I couldn't read and not send P & PT that it turns out to be nothing.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sending PTs to you. I have no experience with this, but do hope that it turns out to be nothing and, like your other ds, his head is just on the larger size.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

We were sent for an ultrasound for DD at 6months because of her large head. The doctor said it was probably nothing and it's just a precaution but I totally panicked. We were absolutely terrified. In the end, it was just a large head thank G-d. But those few days between the doctor and the ultra sound appointment were torturous.

Sending best wishes your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast