Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely do it. My dd is very shy, but she has even met with the principal about things that were really important to her. It was encouraged in our public school, so I would think it would be encouraged in your school. I would use your knowledge of what you know about the principal to decide if you are there too or not.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Thanks for the advice ladies! I often wonder where this child came from. At almost 40 I still feel nauseous meeting with administrators/authority figures to talk thru issues and yet DD1 at age 10 has no problem with it! I am very proud of her.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I personally probably would not attend, but would email the principal in advance of the meeting to see if he/she preferred that I attend and to offer my availability for any follow-up discussion.

I think my child is more likely to stand on their own two feet without me in the room. Granted, this is colored by the individual characteristics of my own child and their principal and may not hold true in all situations.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I often wonder where this child came from. At almost 40 I still feel nauseous meeting with administrators/authority figures to talk thru issues and yet DD1 at age 10 has no problem with it! I am very proud of her.
    She's a rock star!

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I think it is wonderful that she wants to stand up for herself. The principal will be impressed.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Absolutely, I work in our school's office and see stuff like this come through all the time. Our principal would be happy to help her talk through things.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

She should totally go for it! Good for her for advocating for herself and not being afraid to do something about a bad situation in a positive and appropriate way! I'd totally go and sit in on the meeting, but not say anything and let her lead the meeting.
    As a mom, I would have the youtube videos readily available on my phone to show the principal. DASA (Dignity for All Students) is LAW, and the type of behavior you're describing (posting the videos on youtube) falls under the category of cyberbullying, and by LAW, the school must do something about it.
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

That is so awesome. Let her do it. I'd probably schedule it and give the principal a heads up on the nature of the meeting and offer to follow up in need be. It's these types of moments that impact character, self-confidence and empowerment in our kids. Go DS1!
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Yes, definitely. Depending on her age, I would either sit in or not. If she's young, I'd sit in there or be right in the hall. But, older elementary and up, I'd be fine with her on her own. Our 3-5 grade school encourages kids to come to the principal to discuss any issue.
    Kris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2