Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We got ours a week ago, and I didn't bring it inside to look at it. FedEx delivered it to the driveway, so DH unboxed it and tossed it in my van. DD flipped it into place and buckled it. It isn't latched yet. She LOVES it. She says it is more comfy than the Parkway SGL, likes the cupholders better. I'll find out more later, but for now, it's a hit.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There's a great post with lots of pics on car-seat.org:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=271621

I have 2 of these arriving tomorrow and will be trying to fit them into a difficult-to-fit car with wonky seatbelt geometry and forward-tilting headrests. If they work, I hope to help many Subaru owners out there

Quote Originally Posted by kcandz View Post
    I ordered one in April and it arrived today. One label application is laughably crooked, and some stitching is sloppy. I have to believe the delay is due to quality issues, and this is the best they could do, ultimately. Hopefully they have found a new manufacturer to work with, a quick search shows me they are operating as a relatively small company, not a huge conglomerate. I gotta root for that, what are cosmetic issues ultimately anyway. The seat seems comfy and great otherwise, though I am no expert like some in this forum. I haven't installed it yet, it arrived at dinnertime.

I haven't participated here in years, but still use this forum for information, so I hope this gives back in a small, layperson's first impressions review, sort of way.
    I think you're completely right. Diono delayed as long as they could to probably try to address some Q/C issues. I'm sure these are being made overseas, and a small company can struggle with making sure they get someone on site to double-check on quality control. My dad works in that industry and says that you really need a person in China going into the factory and checking and making sure...otherwise stuff like this happens. I do have a slight concern that if there were Q/C issues that are cosmetic, that there could be other unseen Q/C issues affecting the structure of the seat. I hope not, and assume that Diono will at least batch test these seats to make sure...but again they are a small company.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-17-2014 at 09:34 AM.

The Cambrias do NOT work in my Forester (2005). The vehicle headrests are tilted too far forward, pushing the booster away from the seatback. Diono requires the headrest to be in place. I'm disappointed because the belt guide is perfect and the belt retracts smoothly and the seat actually fits in there well (apart from the headrest issue).

I also think they are very nice - at least on mine the stitching is fairly neat, etc. Love the mesh-like fabric - seems like it would be cooler in the summer. Nicely padded, love the tightenable LATCH and that it coverts to backless. It fits PERFECTLY in the 3rd row of my Odyssey.

I don't know about belt fit though, haven't tried my kids in it because I may have to return them. I *could* use them in our Odyssey but I am not ready to move our tiny 6yos out of their harnessed seats. I do wonder though if I can go ahead and remove the headrests in my Forester and use them without the headrest until my girls are tall enough that their heads would not be supported by the vehicle seatback...and then maybe by then I would be ready to switch them to boosters in our Odyssey...I'm sure CPSTs would technically say "no" but based on physics it should theoretically be fine - the headrest is there for whiplash protection...and if my kids aren't tall enough yet to need the headrest for whiplash protection, they'd get the whiplash protection from the vehicle seatback...hmmm

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, vehicle head rests are required? I'm sure it will be a no-go in my 2009 Forester. I've always had to remove the headrests (Subaru requires removal for top tethering, anyway).

The Cambria isn't even up on the Diono site. WHAT is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Wow, vehicle head rests are required? I'm sure it will be a no-go in my 2009 Forester. I've always had to remove the headrests (Subaru requires removal for top tethering, anyway).

The Cambria isn't even up on the Diono site. WHAT is going on.
    It WAS up on the Diono site - then they took it down. I bet to try to reduce inquiries as to "why can't I buy this seat yet??" Amazon has them in stock on and off - check daily if you are interested.

And you might have a better time with the 2009 though I can't remember when they changed the body style? Was it 2010? If so, then your 2009 is likely to have the same issues as my 2005. I tried reversing the headrest, which would solve the problem - however, the headrests do not lock in when you flip them around

And yes, I think there are only a couple of manufacturers which do not require vehicle headrests for booster seats - Recaro is one of them and can't remember the others. It's because boosters aren't made to be as sturdy as harnessed seats and so the headrests on the booster may not hold up to preventing whiplash injuries in a crash. Though some CPSTs think that it's not that the Recaro is any more "sturdy", but only that they have chosen not to make any statements (i.e. acknowledge the risk) regarding the headrest.

Such a pain...on car-seat.org there is a clear agreement that the Forester (at least the older models) is HORRIBLE cars for car seats. Funny, since we bought the Forester thinking it'd be a great family car. The new ones might be better, but whenever a question pops up there on "should I buy this used Forester?" everyone is screaming "NO, NOT IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO EASILY FIND CAR SEATS THAT WORK!" LOL. And being able to do 3-across in a Forester of these years has pretty much been deemed impossible (though there are a couple who haven't gotten it to work, using Radians...but boosters are a pain because ideally you'd like your child to be able to buckle themselves, which won't happen if it's smashed against another seat).

Someone on car-seat.org said to move our Radians into the Forester (harnessed seats and then use them to the limit) and then put the Cambrias in our Odyssey. But the thought of putting my kids in a dedicated booster in our primary car NOW kind of makes me gag even though I know that data-wise, there isn't any suggesting that they'd be safer harnessed vs boostered at this age/weight.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-19-2014 at 12:30 PM.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    It WAS up on the Diono site - then they took it down. I bet to try to reduce inquiries as to "why can't I buy this seat yet??" Amazon has them in stock on and off - check daily if you are interested.

And you might have a better time with the 2009 though I can't remember when they changed the body style? Was it 2010? If so, then your 2009 is likely to have the same issues as my 2005. I tried reversing the headrest, which would solve the problem - however, the headrests do not lock in when you flip them around

And yes, I think there are only a couple of manufacturers which do not require vehicle headrests for booster seats - Recaro is one of them and can't remember the others. It's because boosters aren't made to be as sturdy as harnessed seats and so the headrests on the booster may not hold up to preventing whiplash injuries in a crash. Though some CPSTs think that it's not that the Recaro is any more "sturdy", but only that they have chosen not to make any statements (i.e. acknowledge the risk) regarding the headrest.

Such a pain...on car-seat.org there is a clear agreement that the Forester (at least the older models) is HORRIBLE cars for car seats. Funny, since we bought the Forester thinking it'd be a great family car. The new ones might be better, but whenever a question pops up there on "should I buy this used Forester?" everyone is screaming "NO, NOT IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO EASILY FIND CAR SEATS THAT WORK!" LOL. And being able to do 3-across in a Forester of these years has pretty much been deemed impossible (though there are a couple who haven't gotten it to work, using Radians...but boosters are a pain because ideally you'd like your child to be able to buckle themselves, which won't happen if it's smashed against another seat).

Someone on car-seat.org said to move our Radians into the Forester (harnessed seats and then use them to the limit) and then put the Cambrias in our Odyssey. But the thought of putting my kids in a dedicated booster in our primary car NOW kind of makes me gag even though I know that data-wise, there isn't any suggesting that they'd be safer harnessed vs boostered at this age/weight.
    The 2009 was the first "larger" Forester model year. The 2014s are even bigger! I had a 2006 before, and could NOT do 3-across, even with Radians.

I hear you on boosters in the main car. My husband has one (PWSGL) for our 5yo. NO WAY am I ready in mycar. I'm just curious about the Cambria. My older son (8yo) is newly in a LBB so we put the vehicle headrest back on.

Headrests aren't required, solid vehicle (seatback or headrest) behind the head is required. So if they (the kids) are short enough that the seatback is up to the tops of the ears, take off the headrest. Glad they seem nice!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3