Default Travel seat advice for 9-11 month old!

We have the following trips planned -- would you take the infant seat (KeyFit) or get a lightweight convertible seat? We currently use the KeyFit in my car and a NextFit in DH's car. We have flown with the KeyFit before and it worked well when we either checked it with the luggage or took the travel system stroller. I will NOT be lugging the NextFit through airports. At 6 months he is 13 lb 9 oz and 26.25 inches long. I feel pretty sure he will still fit nicely in the KeyFit, and I am also sure we would use the convertible again in the future for both travel and DH's car once the KeyFit is outgrown as we will be moving the NextFit to my car. I want something that is light and easy to use for the following:

Trip 1 (9 months)
    Flying to in-laws for Thanksgiving with DS on laps. They have a Buick SUV with captains chairs in the second row. My SIL could borrow a seat for us that I would feel ok using while we are there, but we are going to do a park & fly hotel so I need to call and check to see what kind of shuttle they use. If it is a van we will need the seat for that and a quick, easy install will be important. We will probably not be taking a stroller with us.

Trip 2 (10 1/2 months)
    Flying to FLL with DS on laps (with DH), cruising to Caribbean from Miami, will be using some sort of shuttle/cab/etc. a couple of times in Florida. Flying from Miami to Tucson with 1 layover and DS on laps (with parents) to stay with parents for a week where seat will be used in an Expedition and a Corolla. Flying from Tucson to Boston with 1 layover using car seat on plane (just me and DS). Will take stroller, but was planning to take the Chicco Echo instead of the travel system stroller because I want it to fit through the narrow cruise ship cabin doors and be easy to navigate around the ship.

What would you do? Does not necessarily have to be the same answer for both trips.
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 09-06-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We have the following trips planned -- would you take the infant seat (KeyFit) or get a lightweight convertible seat? We currently use the KeyFit in my car and a NextFit in DH's car. We have flown with the KeyFit before and it worked well when we either checked it with the luggage or took the travel system stroller. I will NOT be lugging the NextFit through airports. At 6 months he is 13 lb 9 oz and 26.25 inches long. I feel pretty sure he will still fit nicely in the KeyFit, and I am also sure we would use the convertible again in the future for both travel and DH's car once the KeyFit is outgrown as we will be moving the NextFit to my car. I want something that is light and easy to use for the following:

Trip 1 (9 months)
    Flying to in-laws for Thanksgiving with DS on laps. They have a Buick SUV with captains chairs in the second row. My SIL could borrow a seat for us that I would feel ok using while we are there, but we are going to do a park & fly hotel so I need to call and check to see what kind of shuttle they use. If it is a van we will need the seat for that and a quick, easy install will be important. We will probably not be taking a stroller with us.

Trip 2 (10 1/2 months)
    Flying to FLL with DS on laps (with DH), cruising to Caribbean from Miami, will be using some sort of shuttle/cab/etc. a couple of times in Florida. Flying from Miami to Tucson with 1 layover and DS on laps (with parents) to stay with parents for a week where seat will be used in an Expedition and a Corolla. Flying from Tucson to Boston with 1 layover using car seat on plane (just me and DS). Will take stroller, but was planning to take the Chicco Echo instead of the travel system stroller because I want it to fit through the narrow cruise ship cabin doors and be easy to navigate around the ship.

What would you do? Does not necessarily have to be the same answer for both trips.
    I would just take the Keyfit baseless. The shuttle probably won't have latch and it's much less to carry around. Also, flight attendants are also often very lenient about bringing an infant seat on board if there are empty seats. Then you can put him down if you want during the flight and he will probably nap better too.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely keyfit!

Keyfit, no base for both trips. Super fast, easy seatbelt installation no matter what vehicle you're travelling in.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Keyfit!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Hmm... I guess this means I should measure my travel system stroller and see if it is narrow enough to fit through my cruise ship cabin door, because it would be sooo much easier to get through the airport by myself if it does!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Hmm... I guess this means I should measure my travel system stroller and see if it is narrow enough to fit through my cruise ship cabin door, because it would be sooo much easier to get through the airport by myself if it does!
    Have you tried the keyfit facing you in the seat of the Echo? I used my keyfit with a chicco umbrella (the C6, I think) when I was travelling alone with my DD once. I just decided on a whim, and perhaps desperation, to see if if the keyfit would fit, and it fit perfectly, baby facing me, in the seat of the umbrella stroller! Saved me loads of lugging the car seat and rolling suitcase and diaper bag and purse through the airport and in and out of the hotel.

Now, it doesn't click to secure the keyfit, but since this was temporary measure, I was ok with it. The seat of the umbrella was inclined enough to hold the keyfit in it instead of sliding out, and the edge of the keyfit where baby's feet were fit snugly between the two side umbrella support rails. I was still VERY careful when going down ramps or over the curb to get to the car, but it worked like a dream, and I could use just the umbrella for the rest of the trip.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hydrangea View Post
    Have you tried the keyfit facing you in the seat of the Echo? I used my keyfit with a chicco umbrella (the C6, I think) when I was travelling alone with my DD once. I just decided on a whim, and perhaps desperation, to see if if the keyfit would fit, and it fit perfectly, baby facing me, in the seat of the umbrella stroller! Saved me loads of lugging the car seat and rolling suitcase and diaper bag and purse through the airport and in and out of the hotel.
    You know, I haven't tried it that way, but I measured my travel system stroller and I think it will be ok. I actually have the smaller one (Nuevo I think it's called?) that has an umbrella style fold.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Definitely the key fit. There's actually an umbrella stroller from Chicco that fits the keyfit too. I used that combination for international travel. Worked great on coaches too.