Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default HPV/Gardasil vaccine?

I did a search and the last post on this was from 3/13. I read that thread, but wanted to see if there were any new and different opinions since that time.

My dd is 11. I am wondering about the HPV/Gardasil vaccine and if she should have it. The ped has not said anything to me, but we haven't been in to see her in a while. I really don't know what to do---BBBers seems completely split on this based on the 2013 thread. I am in the mostly pro-vaccine camp. My kids have most vaccines, minus only a couple. Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is one vaccine I will NOT give to my kids. Too many really scary reactions.

My boys are full vaccinated otherwise.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    This is one vaccine I will NOT give to my kids. Too many really scary reactions.

My boys are full vaccinated otherwise.
    Thanks! I have not really researched this other than here and one other group I am on. Did you read about the scary reactions on-line?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD is 11, at her well check appointment and when getting her immunizations for 6th grade, I discussed with our pediatrician who I love and have found to be very up on latest research. He recommended it and he has given it to his kids who are between 11-15, he has two girls and a boy. I had also done my research and decided to give it to DD. As I remember a year ago this is a very controversial vax topic on this board and I have learned there is a lot of false information out there on this topic. I am proud vax but did do an delayed/spread out schedule with my children. I opted out of hep b when they were babies bit caught up later. I also did the chicken pox vax.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My DD will be getting it at 13yo. The only reactions I ever saw at work was a kid occasionally fainting... which happens to many (many many many) tween/teens when faced with needles. They get worked up, they forget to breathe, they pass out. Happens with blood draws, finger pokes, and, yes, vaccinations. In full disclosure, my doctor did have a patient who broke her nose after the vaccine--because she stood up and passed out. My clinic made kids sit down to get the vaccine, and stay sitting for 5 minutes after the vaccine.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're about to give it to my 11yo DS. My husband is a physician who believes in the vaccine. For what it's worth my kids are fully vaxed, but we did delayed vaxes.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 11 yo son got it when he was 10. I was planning to give it to him when he was that age even before it was recommended for boys. I think most of the "negative effects" from the vaccine appear completely unrelated when you look at the cases. Sure, there are no long term studies that say that the vaccine will decrease cancer in humans among the general population, we haven't had the time to prove that. However, I think it has a very good chance of doing so based on what evidence and studies there are. And remember, there is no long term study that links sunscreen to skin cancer prevention, but we all spend every spring talking about sunscreen! My daughter will be getting it in two years. And if I suggested self breast exams are useless based on studies I would get flayed alive, even though that evidence is fairy convincing.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ds just turned 10 the other day, not sure when he will get it, as his checkup is next month. But we are definitely giving him the vax sometime between now and 13.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We decline several vaccines. HPV/Gardisil is one of those. I 4 boys and the oldest 2 were offered the vaccine and we declined. In my circle of friends its probably 50-50 for boys and girls even among those who vaccinate on schedule or delayed schedule.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Until this year, our ped was opposed to it for boys. This year he said he had a change of heart and now recommended it. I'd been in the decline camp but am going to give it some thought before next year's appointment.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast