Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Would you say something?

DD's elementary school qualifies for universal free breakfast so every day breakfast is served in her classroom while they're doing announcements, etc. I'm not crazy about the food that they serve but DD has come to the realization that a lot of it is kind of gross and doesn't eat most of it. The one thing she does have every day is chocolate milk. This is something that's considered a treat in our house and I would prefer her to drink regular milk or water. We've been told by the school if we don't want our kids to have stuff to communicate it to the teacher, however I feel like DD is going to see everyone else in her class getting it and be resentful. Should I even go there or just let it be? I guess the other thing I could do is tell DD that if she has chocolate milk at school that would be her treat for the day, i.e. no dessert after dinner.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would tell her that it would be her treat for the day, I think, given the circumstances. She may tire of the chocolate milk every day and elect to have milk or water, or she may choose to go to a day-to-day thing. I absolutely agree that it's a treat, but in the world of treats, there are far worse things than chocolate milk, so I'd leave it to her to decide whether she gives it up in lieu of another treat or sticks with it.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With my DS I would not say anything. He eats his breakfast and all his other lunch I pack, drinks regular milk at home. So basically as long as he is getting enough healthy stuff, I don't mind more than one treat a day.
    With DD, I might say something because what would likely happen is that she would refuse her breakfast or milk at home because she would know she was getting that chocolate milk at school. Even then though, I might hesitate, in fear of creating a situation where she would lie to me about the milk, and contribute to additional food issues with her.
    And for me at last, some added sugar with the milk isn't a huge deal overall.
    So I think as long as your DD gets plenty of other healthy stuff, I would not worry about the milk.
    DD
    DS

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never minded chocolate milk. I think the good stuff offsets the bad b/c ds2 is so picky. However, our school stopped selling and serving chocolate milk several years ago. Many schools have phased it out. I wonder if you could get support for that in your school? It might be worth asking other parents and/ or attending a PTO type meeting. Ds2 does now happily drink plain milk and is growing to prefer it.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd let it be her treat and encourage her to make different decisions. If I still thought she was having it every day after a month or so, I might talk to the teacher and see how many kids have limits on chocolate milk. I am not a fan of chocolate milk as an everyday drink. Think sugar is the new tobacco.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd leave it. I pack my boys organic chocolate milk in their lunch nearly everyday. Even through we have it at home ( or the ability to make it) they always ask for white milk here. As long as she's eating healthy in the grand scheme of things its not a huge deal.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would let the chocolate milk thing slide as long as she gets enough healthy stuff elsewhere.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

In DS's Title I school, they serve chocolate and white milk every day. At DD's "upper class" school, I once put out the chocolate milk by mistake (I was doing lunch duty). I wasn't sure who was worse--the kids climbing over each other to get it or the other lunch duty mothers who looked at me like I had served the kids crack cocaine. Kids/Parents who don't have enough money to eat on a regular basis seem to be happy they are getting any milk. My DS drinks several glasses of chocolate milk every day. He's skinny as a rail.

I wouldn't say anything.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I would- that's a lot of sugar every single day- do they not have white milk or another option your dd can choose? It somehow make it so your dd can choose to drink something else so she isn't resentful.
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Think sugar is the new tobacco.
    I totally agree and we as adults are the 'pushers' ! We are crippling the next generation by addicting them to sugar- I mean I know chocolate milk in and of itself isn't a big deal- but it's not the only time all day kids are pushed a sugary alternative vs the whole variety. I'm fine with treats every now and then but we are training them to expect it, regularly!

Off my soapbox- I'm sensitive about this- dds preschool serves poptarts, captain crunch, and honey buns for snacks and I've been battling them on it lately. It's everywhere I look and so discouraging
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast