Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster80 View Post
    I totally agree and we as adults are the 'pushers' ! We are crippling the next generation by addicting them to sugar- I mean I know chocolate milk in and of itself isn't a big deal- but it's not the only time all day kids are pushed a sugary alternative vs the whole variety. I'm fine with treats every now and then but we are training them to expect it, regularly!
    I agree. My kids are all normal to thin, and I definitely don't feel like I shouldn't have to worry about sugar because they aren't overweight. IMO it extends far beyond issues with weight. I'm a woman with PCOS, have never been overweight, was very thin in my childhood and still suffer the effects of insulin resistance thanks to PCOS. My kids get their sugar, don't get me wrong, but I do have concerns about how much they consume even though they are thin. We just try to be pretty aware of it, as they likely will be prone to some level of insulin resistance thanks to my genetic contribution.
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-17-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't believe they serve chocolate milk. My school stopped serving chocolate milk several years ago. We also have the breakfast in the classroom program, and as a teacher I hate it! The food they serve is garbage and it hypes the kids up, and takes up nearly 30 minutes of class time. They typically get a box of juice each morning. I'd rather they have chocolate milk. Not to mention all of the food and milk that gets spilled on my carpet on a regular bad is. We have had a huge increase in ants and cockroaches since starting the program last year.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Are the other kids really all having it? Only DS2 here likes chocolate milk, so my older two would get white milk. DD buys it daily for lunch. I'd probably go with twice a week for chocolate and regular the rest of the time, or something like that.
    Kris

I gave up the chocolate milk fight as soon as they hit Kindergarten. We never have it at home, and not even at restaurants (I have to cut of the server as they're saying "chocolate?") They only buy lunch on Fridays (pizza) and on breakfast for lunch day. If it were an every day occurrence, especially for breakfast, I think I'd say something. But it would not let it become a huge deal. I'd give it the old college try, and then let it drop.

Can you send in a water bottle with milk, or water in it?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It would bother me every day, yeah, I would have to put a stop to that. Not only is it bad for her health, but I would cringe knowing she was having that much sugar so early in the morning with no opportunity to brush her little teeth! If my kids have a breakfast treat like that at home we at least brush, ykwim?

I wouldn't forbid it, but would send a note asking if another option is available. My kids would ask for water instead, and I'd like them to have it!
    Green Tea, mom to three

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would say something because I wouldn't want my daughter to get used to expecting chocolate milk everyday and that's way more sugar than I would want first thing in the morning

Maybe you allow it once a week and let your DC decide what that day of the week is

I would talk to your DD about it and give her the choice of chocolate milk or another treat. See if you can get her to agree to only have it two days a week or something so you can then limit it through the teacher. I would let it be your DD's choice, but not one she makes daily on the spur of the moment. I'd ask her to decide now and let the teacher hold her accountable.

Our school is super health conscious. The food comes from local farms and their own school garden. The meals are nutritionally sound, and there are no sugary foods and nothing processed. The one thing they do still have available is chocolate milk. In the great scheme of things, a chocolate milk each day is no big deal if you don't eat a lot of treats at home. I used to be worried DS would refuse white milk after trying a flavor like chocolate or vanilla, but that hasn't been the case. If the chocolate milk counts as her treat, I bet your DD will choose other things over the milk, and if she doesn't, as treats go, chocolate milk is a good one.

OP here - Yes, I believe its way too much sugar - 29g in a typical 8 oz serving of chocolate milk (almost 6 tsps). I just don't see this a part of a healthy breakfast. I think that its great to provide breakfast to kids who aren't getting it at home but why does that mean they have to serve junk?

I talked about it with DD this evening. I told her that I'd like her to choose regular milk vs. chocolate milk sometimes and on the days she drinks chocolate milk that would be her treat for the day. She told me that her teacher has to put in an order each week for the kids and she can't choose to have chocolate milk one day and regular milk another day. So I went ahead and emailed the teacher to find out more.

It's just annoying to me that I have to fight this fight with my kid. She's not the kind of kid to give up on a sugary treat that she loves so easily. She's going to be really mad if I tell the teacher to cut her off.

I decided to let my kids pick. Starting in preschool they have had the option of white or chocolate milk every day at school. One kids will only drink white. The other two always have chocolate. I do not do chocolate milk at home and they still drink regular skim milk here without a problem.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast