View Poll Results: Did your summer birthday child go to school on time? Check all that apply

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a girl born 1-2 months before cutoff and sent her on time.

24 27.91%
  • I have a boy born 1-2 months before cutoff and sent him on time.

26 30.23%
  • I have a girl born 3-4 months before cutoff and sent her on time.

16 18.60%
  • I have a boy born 3-4 months before cutoff and sent him on time.

16 18.60%
  • I have a girl born 1-2 months before cutoff and waited a year.

1 1.16%
  • I have a boy born 1-2 months before cutoff and waited a year.

10 11.63%
  • I have a girl born 3-4 months before cutoff and waited a year.

2 2.33%
  • I have a boy born 3-4 months before cutoff and waited a year.

3 3.49%
  • Other - Please comment

4 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS2 is mid July, but we had a Nov. 1 cut-off that year. He started on time and we never considered otherwise. So, he just turned 6 and is in 1st now.

But, last year in his kindergarten class, there were 2 kids who turned 7 before the year finished. DS2 was still 5. One boy with a November birthday and a girl with a February birthday. So crazy to me, as those are not even close to the cut-offs. That boy is now in 1st and will be 8 shortly (DD turned 8 in June and is in 3rd!) and the little girl is in 1st and will be 8 in February.

Redshirting is super common here and it drives me nuts. DS1 is in 5th and one of his friends is 2 weeks older than he is with April birthdays, but the friend is in 4th.
    Kris

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ds3 is pretty much the youngest kid in kindy this yr. I flipped flopped on this back and forth, and asked the input of his preschool teacher. I think he'll be OK academically. Emotionally, I think he still acts younger, we will see how things go. I was originally going to let him do one yr of half day kindy and then a yr of full day. Then I switched from being a sahm to a whom, and it seems like a waste for him to sit in daycare when he could be getting more from full day kindy. I got lucky that this yr there wasn't a wait list for full day kindy. His preschool teacher, who I trust 100% felt that he was ready.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 09-18-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Did your summer birthday child go to school "on time" or did you wait a year?

DS1 has a mid August bday with a Sept 1 cutoff. I sent him on time but he struggled through K & 1st. We decided to retain him in 1st this year and he is now doing wonderfully. I don't regret starting him on time, but i went into it with an open mind that if we felt he needed to repeat early on we would do it without hesitation.

Red shirting is virtually nonexistent in our area.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS's birthday is 9 days before the cutoff (and usually 2-3 days before school starts). I don't know what we're going to do. My impulse is to send him on time unless he's demonstrably not ready. But DH leans towards holding him back. He's not concerned how DS will do as a young elementary child, but how being younger and smaller will affect him in middle school and high school. DH had a birthday near his cutoff and was small for his age, so he's speaking from his own experience.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sept. 1 cut off, sent on time. We did k at preschool and transitioned to first grade. We used the wisdom of his teachers and lots of my research to go on time. He's in 7th grade. He's on the young side socially but great academically. He's found his group of friends too so the social piece is ok.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS was just shy of the cut off by a few days. We kept him one more year. This decision was based on our gut feeling, not solely on age alone. He wasn't ready and we don't have any regrets. If this was older DS he would have gone early because he would have been ready. We did what we felt was right.

Ds1 turned 5 in July and started K one month later. He's only one month in, but so far it's going well. When I spoke with the guidance counselor she said, "I wouldn't have guessed he was a summer birthday."
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I sent my mid-August girl on time, we have a Sept 1 cutoff. So many people assumed I would just hold her back b/c her bday was in August. I asked everyone - preschool teachers (2 years), ped, day care provider, if they saw any reason to hold her back (as in, was I missing something??), and no one did. So off she went.

Someone has to be the youngest!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Both of my late June boys were sent on time. Neither one was the smallest, ever, so that argument kind of baffles me. Anyway, now one is in college and the other started first this year. There are a couple in his first grade class that are 1 year older than he, just turning 7.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sept 1 Cutoff

Aug 3 boy sent on time
    Aug 10 girl I plan to send on time
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast