jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have a mirrorless camera?

I'm starting to research thinking DH might enjoy one. Does anyone here have one? What brand do you have? How do you like it? Best place too see them and purchase? TIA

I began using mirror less cameras a few years ago. I am blown away by their small size and improved picture quality.

Panasonic and Olympus are by are the two leading manufacturers of Mirrorless camera. This matters because many mirrorless cameras allow you to change the lenses.
    If you stick to these two brands you will be able to purchase wide variety of lenses. Traditional camera brands like Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.

Best place to learn about any type of camera is http://www.dpreview.com/
    They have a forum for mirror less cameras. The forum name is Micro Four Third Talk. Mirrorless cameras are also called Micro four third cameras.

I purchased most of my equipment from Amazon.

I own Olympus OMD-E5 (Mirror less). I own lenses made by Panasonic and Olympus.
    Olympus makes much more compact cameras than OMD-E5. If you buy their Pen series camera they will be small but still offer an ability to change lenses so you can build your lens collection over time.

I also own Sony RX100. It is an excellent P&S camera with a large sensor. This is my go anywhere camera and Olympus is used on trips and taking portraits.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have a sony nex-6 that I got at the beginning of the summer. I wanted better quality than a point and shoot but something that isn't as bulky as a DSLR. I am very happy with it so far. The only thing I don't like is the startup time.

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hehateme View Post
    I began using mirror less cameras a few years ago. I am blown away by their small size and improved picture quality.

Panasonic and Olympus are by are the two leading manufacturers of Mirrorless camera. This matters because many mirrorless cameras allow you to change the lenses.
    If you stick to these two brands you will be able to purchase wide variety of lenses. Traditional camera brands like Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.

Best place to learn about any type of camera is http://www.dpreview.com/
    They have a forum for mirror less cameras. The forum name is Micro Four Third Talk. Mirrorless cameras are also called Micro four third cameras.

I purchased most of my equipment from Amazon.

I own Olympus OMD-E5 (Mirror less). I own lenses made by Panasonic and Olympus.
    Olympus makes much more compact cameras than OMD-E5. If you buy their Pen series camera they will be small but still offer an ability to change lenses so you can build your lens collection over time.

I have an Olympus E-PM1 (purchased in Feb., 2012). I was looking to upgrade from my Panasonic point and shoot that I really liked and served me well. I was going to go with a DSLR but I loved the compactness of the mirrorless. I have been so happy with my camera. I have the lens it came with and a Panasonic 20mm pancake lens.

I did a ton of research on a micro 4/3 forum (http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php) and asked lots of questions before purchasing. I found a local camera shop that stocked several of the cameras. I would have purchased there but they didn't have the model I ended up with so I bought it from Adorama online. I bought the Panasonic lens new off of the buy/sell section of the forum I linked for a good price.

Good luck! They really are great cameras.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My coworker who is really into photography has pretty much told me the same thing that Hehateme said. I am tempted by an Olympus Pen because I want the quality of a DSLR in a smaller compact size. I also think Panasonic makes a mirror less camera too, but I can't remember all of the details about it, but I love my current Panasonic power point n shoot camera (FZ series) so I would definitely consider Panasonic as well.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)