Default Need help with wording response (gift suggestions)

DD1 just started K 3 weeks ago - new school, she didn't know anyone in her class previously. We invited all of the girls in her class to her birthday party coming up in a couple of weeks. So most of these parents I have not met yet - we met a couple at parent night but most we have not met at all - obviously we don't "know" any of them. So far everyone has said yes - haven't heard from 2 yet. We did not mention anything about gifts on the invite - so implying it is a "gift" party (which is the norm around here).

Anyway some parents have asked for gift suggestions and I don't know how to respond because I have never met these people. I realize they don't know DD and genuinely want to get her something she would like, but I have no idea how to word a response without sounding like gifts are expected. I actually feel uncomfortable when people I already know ask for gift suggestions - I really don't know what to say to people I don't know at all. Any suggestions??

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I always respond with something generic...like arts & crafts, books, bead crafts, Barbie, My Little Pony, etc...I would reply something like "Kids are easy to please. I'm sure she'd love anything. But for some ideas she loves arts & crafts, beading kits, Barbie, ..."
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

People are asking because they don't want to waste their money on an unwanted gift, I think all people want their gift to be appreciated. I would just say something general like "she likes board games" or "she's into Frozen". Does the party have a theme? You can say she likes whatever the theme is. Don't feel awkward.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

"She loves art, princesses, and anything girly. We're just thrilled that you can come."

Done

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Keep in general and offer a few categories. "DD is so excited that [CHILD] can come celebrate with her! She loves books, puzzles, and arts and crafts. Looking forward to meeting you!"

You could also mention a theme, such as play-doh, princesses, or science, as PPs have mentioned.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I always ask. The person I just got an email said "he loves star wars and anything basebal". I assumed star wars since that was the theme but was wanting to see if the word lego showed up but it didn't so DD chose a star wars play pack on amazon
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

I ended up using bits of all of these. Thank you everyone!!