Thread: Kid's tablets?

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Kid's tablets?

DD's daycare has a few tablets...the nabi, I think and she loves it. I am wonder how these differ from an iPad. We have an iPad with a ton of (free) apps for her so I am wondering if these 'kid tablets' are worth it. I breifly glanced at them in Target and it seemed all of the games were $25 each. Am I missing something? Talk me in or out of getting her one. TIA!
    Last edited by trcy; 09-21-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

We're completely fine with an iPad at our house. The 2yo DGS has it figured out, the 3yo DGS has it figured out, and if DH and I can't do something on it, 10yo DD will take it away from us and do whatever we need. (Sheesh, kids these days! )

I don't see the "need" for kids tablet. I know they can have some specialized apps for them, and some have special covers to make them more kid-friendly... But you can slap a heavy-duty cover on an iPad, there's tons of free and low-cost apps, and the whole family can use the iPad. And your child won't outgrow it in a year, when they are using regular tablets in school (at least, our local schools use iDevices).
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The iPad is better, so if you have one of those you should be fine. We originally got my DS a leap pad when he was 3 1/2. He used it, and still uses it on occasion. However my old iPad that I gave him gets way more use and has many more features. The apps are pretty much free or only a few dollars where as games for the leap pad are $25. We just got a really heavy duty case for it, and it has survived him without a problem.

We bought my son a leap pad when he was 3 there are alot of educational games, videos and music that you can get and alot of them are as cheap as $5 or $10. We just got him an ipad this year he's 6. He plays mainly with the ipad but he does still watch videos and play games on the leappad. and he has learned alot from him..definitly do not regret the investment.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)