Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your girl. The new puppy will be much loved. I agree with no pads. Train to go outside ASAP. Papers weren't for peeing in when we trained - just to help protect the area they were contained in until trained. We've had puppies and they all went outside very quickly (like a week or less) with taking them outside frequently, watching them and containing them in an area while training. We said go potty as a cue - not very original!

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your girl. The new puppy will be much loved. I agree with no pads. Train to go outside ASAP. Papers weren't for peeing in when we trained - just to help protect the area they were contained in until trained. We've had puppies and they all went outside very quickly (like a week or less) with taking them outside frequently, watching them and containing them in an area while training. We said go potty as a cue - not very original!
    Oh I totally agree that the puppy pads aren't so much for peeing but more like an insurance policy for your carpet as you are training! And we just say, "Go potty" to our dog as a cue.

Oh yeah, I meant to add....we definitely need pictures of this cutie when you get him/her!!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thank you all so very much. Her death was devastating to me. I loved Maggie like I've never loved a pet before. She was my doggy "soulmate". It started out with a limp which turned into immune mediated polyarthritis which then turned to 5 other things in the span of 2 weeks. Our local vet and hospital could not stop her decline so I had to take her to veterinary school hospital at UW Madison. They were amazing there and tried their very best to save her. She spent 5 days there while she was battling sepsis and a heart infection on top of everything else. Her immune system was so compromised at that point that she could not battle the infections. She even went into cardiac arrest and had to be resuscitated. That night, I took the boys up to WI to say goodbye which was heartbreaking. The next morning, I went back up with DH and our other great dane so he could see what was going on. She died while DH and I kissed and held her. It was awful but it was definitely time to let her go. There was nothing else to be done at that point except prolong her suffering. I am crying again as I type this. I miss her so very much.

Our other dog's breeder followed our whole saga and felt so badly for us and our other dog who is now depressed that he offered us one of the three pups from his show litter. I am so grateful because we are not a show family but we really need this and our other dog really needs this as well. The poor guy is barely eating two weeks out.

All of our friends and family were so saddened by her death. She really won a lot of hearts over while she was alive.

While we obviously cannot replace her and she will probably always be my favorite dog, we are all excited about the joy that a new puppy will bring and are looking forward to the craziness.

Hug your dogs for me and get pet insurance! Our bills were astronomical and insurance covered most of it. We have embrace and they were amazing throughout the whole process.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's heartbreaking.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am so sorry about your dogs death. I remember the pictures you posted and she was beautiful. You could also tell that you loved her so much from all your posts. Congratulations on your new puppy. I'm sure she will help lessen your pain.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh, I'm so sorry about your dog. What a terrible loss.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3