Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about K and curriculum.

At back to school night we were given a copy of the daily schedule for the kids based on the district's cycle of specials (gym, music, art, etc). The teacher also gave a little presentation talk about the day/ activities , etc.

I left feeling quite stressed out.

DS has been struggling this year - crying in the mornings (and sometimes in the middle of the night) that he no longer likes school, "it's too long," it's "too much ." All of which had been surprising and confusing since he loved preschool and PreK last year.

I knew it was going to be different than Pre-k, but honestly wasn't prepared for how different.

After last night, I now understand why he's feeling so distressed.

Based on the schedule, they do not have ANY free time except for a 30 min recess after they eat.

Each day is fully scheduled with curriculum and lots and lots of cycling in and out of the class.

DS has been coming home each day with lots of partially finished work sheets and I now understand it's bc they just don't have time to finish.

For example, in a 30 or 40 min language arts period, they do small group reading for 10/15 min and then are supposed to cycle thru four different tables with a different skill/worksheet at each. And the teacher times the cycles so they move as a group regardless of how much they've completed.

Even to me, this feels overwhelming and stressful.

It's like speed dating kindergarten style.

And then last night the teacher said that she thinks maybe it would be good for the kids to complete these unfinished work sheets as homework. That means literally like 3 or 4 sheets for LA and 3 or 4 more for math plus whatever else each day.

As DS is my oldest, this is all new to me. But lord, I am truly caught off guard and concerned that this seems way too intense for K.

Maybe I'm being over protective? I really feel for DS now that I understand how...intense each day seems. But I'm not really able to if anything to help him, unless we were to pull him, which isn't something we're considering at this point. But given his history of anxiety and particular quirks and obsessive personality, I'm concerned this is going to really set a bad tone for his overall school experience.

Would appreciate feedback from more experienced parents.

Thanks.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That was similar to DD1's Kindergarten experience. They had "centers" throughout the day and would cycle through activities. typically, one small group would be with the TA having some kind of hands-on lesson, another group would be on the computers, a third would be listening to a story using headphones, and the other three groups would be doing a worksheet-based activity of some kind. I think each rotation was 15-20 minutes long, though.

Honestly, DD1 had a lot of trouble in kindergarten. She had a hard time keeping herself on task to finish the worksheets. starting in January, I started getting notes home from the teacher and the work was expected to be completed as homework. At the time, it didn't even occur to me to question the policy; now I know the teacher had big classroom management issues. At one point, over half of the class was using privacy screens because they weren't finishing their worksheets!

I'd tell DS that you expect him to do his best at school -- he can't be goofing off or staring into space or anything. But if he tries his hardest and can't finish a worksheet, you do not expect him to finish a worksheet at home. When you meet with the teacher, you can ask if not finishing the worksheets reflects his grasp on the material he needs to learn (and ask her exactly how). If it's just a matter of not being quick enough with the busywork, then opt him out.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD is at a Private K as we don't have public K as part of our elementary (they have a stand alone school for that). So the curriculum does not seem as intense as yours, it is full day and they have lunch, recess, rest time mid-day and some free play time.

In your case is it an option to delay K 1 year when he is more ready? Clearly K has picked up, mostly due to average age increasing I believe.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD's school has a completely different approach, and I think it has helped her transition from preK. They do not do worksheets and have loads of free time...teachers incorporate learning into the play. For example, DD planned her entire wedding on Wednesday (lol), and practiced her writing by making invitations. The school is very 1970's -- much like my kindy. DH and I picked it because of the learning by playing approach and because they emphasize social learning as well. It makes me sad to think that 5 & 6 yo's are sitting for that long
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

I am sorry you are feeling stressed out. Do you mind posting his schedule? According to the schedule the teacher sent home, DS' class schedule is:

7:40-8 Arrival, morning announcements
    8-8:30 unpack, calendar, math stations
    8:30-9:15 specials (computer lab, music/art, guidance & library--they go to each one once a week)
    9:30-10:45 reading block (stations are 10-10:45 while the teacher pulls individual students or small groups. One parent comes in to assist each day during this time)
    10:45-11 snack and story
    11-11:45 PE
    11:45-12:20 math lesson
    12:20-12:28 restroom
    12:28-12:58 lunch
    1-1:20 recess
    1:30-1:45 theme/science/social studies
    1:45-2:05 silent reading/conference with students
    2:05-2:15 wrap up and dismissal

There are several reading stations but the kids only cycle to two during the 45 minute time block.

The school hasn't started giving homework yet, but all DS' work for the day comes home and if there is something unfinished, I have him finish it at some time that week. Generally, the worksheets are to practice writing a letter or some sight words.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our K classroom does have centers, and often the sheets are only partially done. My DS's teacher has never asked that they finish them at home. Based on my experience with her 2 years ago with DS1, I don't expect that she ever will. There is time for free play at the beginning of every day and almost always for a good chunk of the afternoon. If the schedule didn't allow for as much as she liked the day before, she gives them more free play the following day.

The free play isn't a free for all, but there are many things to choose from - reading quietly, building, putting together plays, art activities, etc. They have 3 recesses a day plus lunch.

No homework ever, unless they need to bring in a family photo or something.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It sounds tough for him. The K experience varies so much by teacher in our school that it's hard to compare. My DD had the very creative, academic teacher who never gave out worksheets. They had a list of things to move through, and worked at their own pace. They didn't have a lot of "free time" so I'm not sure what you mean by that, but they had big blocks of time to work on things. Everything was integrated - math, language, art. In the next room, there was a very different K classroom with play kitchens and dolls and craft projects, so completely different from our more academic K class. And DD was ready for the academics and would have been miserable in the other classroom - she was older and was a strong reader and speller already.

Kindergarteners come in with such wide-ranging abilities that they almost have to work at their own pace. So for me, the important thing is not that other kids can do or handle but how it's working for your child.

When are conferences? If it's within a few weeks, I would give it some time. If not, I would still give it a few weeks and then schedule a meeting with the teacher. To me, it sounds like he is having trouble getting things done and I'd want to know what the teacher expects and if he is meeting her expectations. I'd also share that he is having a hard time at home. I would focus on what you are hearing from him and not myself as a parent (over protective, etc.). It is very possible that this teacher or classroom is not a good fit for your son, and it's important to tackle this early.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'll try to post the schedule later

As for what I mean by free time, i mean time to literally play or do something that they chose to do - like ahisma posted above.

Conferences aren't until mid-Nov.

I've already been in communication with the teacher about him having a hard time at home because he's gone into school crying on several occasions, and the night-wakings and hysteria over school for an hour at 1 am were so out of character that I was alarmed.

She says he seems fine and happy during the day.

Academically, DS would also be considering "strong," I think - he's already reading and has been doing so for a while. He's doing probably what's considered advanced math. But his handwriting/fine motor is a challenge for him, so the actual physical work of work sheets is probably slow-ish for him. And he's a perfectionist, so the fact that he's starting things but not being able to complete them is, I think, stressful for him.

Even with the back to school session, I still feel sort of unclear about what's going on in the classroom and exactly what's expected. But it does, to me, feel overwhelming - probably because DS is expressing that it's overwhelming.

However, I'm not sure what, if anything, could be done about it because I have a feeling all the classrooms are structured much the same way.

I just feel sad that such little ones are expected to do so much. He's not even fully 5 and a half, and yet has FULL day of working school. It has to be exhausting. I'm not sure why, but this truly not what I expected. I was thinking it would be "more academic" than last year - he did Pre-K in the same school - but not quite like this. I expected at least some free-time, and less work sheets.

ugh.
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD started kindy this year and all three of my children have attended different kindergarten schools because we have moved a lot. Because of that I've see lots of variation on what the K curriculum can include. DD's K class seems very organized, but not rushed and definitely more nurturing than the other 2 experiences. DS2 had a tough K experience. His school was very academic heavy and he really struggled to keep up. There was no rest time, only 1 recess and expectations were high. I remember going in to meet with the teacher and she informed me that many kids in DS's class could already read at a 2nd grade level. It was a tough year to say the least! DD has rest time, 2-3 recess breaks depending on the day, centers that last 15-20 minutes each and 1-2 teacher assistants plus a parent helper in the class at all times. She loves school and I love that it seems very warm and fuzzy for her first school experience.

I would make an appt with the teacher and find out what the day is like and how she feels your DS is doing. In retrospect I should have maybe held DS a year or even looked at other schools that might have been a better fit for him. It's tough when their first experience is such a negative one. Hugs to you!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

Our K classes also have "stations" that they cycle through. It's really more like tasks: read to self for 15, read with someone, listen to reading (CD or iPad), word work, etc. No worksheets though. I think they do have a notebook that has some worksheet like stuff, like tracing letters, etc. But they don't do worksheets in class, and they never bring them home. Currently, they have 15 minutes of play time in the mid-morning (blocks, Legos, marble run, coloring, etc.). They have recess after lunch, and then again in the later afternoon. Math usually involves manipulatives.

The worksheet thing doesn't happen at our school (iowa public schools). The only sheets DD has ever brought home were everyday math home links. DS is in K now (5 weeks in) and he's never brought home a worksheet or homework. That's way too much.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast