Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I done finished the blankies.

In case anyone wants to see, I wanted to share photos of the finished products and let you know how it went. The first batch of 13 were from Hancock for a ridiculously low sale price or $3.97/yd, plus an add'l 15% off of the whole order for about $9/blanket. The 2nd batch of six were from JoAnn's for half off, so $4.49/yd., no add'l coupon, so like $13/blanket. I did 1.5 yards, two layers, typical no-sews. Glacier, not anti-pil. I really really disappointed in their cutters at Hancock. The colors and patterns were also kind of ... off. I got the very best they had to offer, AFAIC. They were totally nice and helpful, but when they did the cutting, something went really wrong with at least four of them. I went down to one and a quarter yards for four of them cuz I REALLY wanted that color but the bold was made of remnants, not contiguous fabric, so I deduced I could cut shorter ties. As it happens, that's not a good idea to do, but it didn't matter cuz 1.25 yards of one fabric did NOT match up with the other. Completely uneven, I was going to have to trim them to hell and gone to even them out, and I'd end up with a teeny blanket. So, I made do with one, but the other three have to go back (returnable if I don't cut them). Joann's was spot on. Eh, it's fine.

I also learned that it's NOT LIKE A SCARF. Sooooooooo much more cutting and tying. You all were right, it would have been easier to just buy them! However ... I"m really glad I made them. I tied every tie myself -- DS did a few, but he had a hard time. He was proud of the ones he did, and he helped me measure up the corners and such. But I made these with my own hand, and I just feel really good about it. Not at all regretting it! But dude, my hand. Oy!

Here's the finished products. Would love to know which of these you think a boy will NOT want. Still haven't figured out how to dole them out. Unfortunately, wx calls for thunderstorms RIGHT when the party starts tomorrow at 5pm. GREAT. Basement Movie Night it just may be.

The content editor only lets you add 7 pix in one post, so continued in next posts.

Purple & Grey

Black & White Zigzag & Black

Red Tartan & Red (that is black in there, not brown)

Last edited by Fairy; 09-19-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Those are super cool! I love all of them! Hope you have a fantastic party & that the weather holds out for some good fresh air for the kids!

Blue Tartan & Blue (again, that's black in there, not brown - extra-curricular appearance by the cat)

Bright Blue & Grey (it looks brown in the pic, but it's charcoal grey)

Dark Purple & Lavendar (really hard to see that it's lavendar but it is)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They look fantastic! Awesome job! . Thinking of you guys and hope you have a super fun party!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Awesome! Great job! So what did you you do with the alien print and polka dots?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Those look great! That is a TON of cutting and tying. If you are asking which ones to that would be best for girls, then I'd go with either purple option, especially the dark/light version. They seem a bit more feminine to me. I really like the blue/tartan combo though!!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Navy Blue & White Polka Dot

Brown & Chartreuse Polka Dot

Dark Green & Light Green

Last edited by Fairy; 09-19-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Don't Come 'Round Here No More.

Charcoal & Bright Blue

Red & Navy (I absolutely hate this one. It's the one salvageable 1.25yd ones from Hancock, and it's a mess)

Blue & Black Checks & Black

Peace Out, Man

Charcoal & Light Green

cute! have a super fun party!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast