Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What boys bike should I get?

My 8 year old son has outgrown his old bike and needs a new one. He is tall enough for a 24 inch bike but he said he would feel more comfortable on a 20 incher. My husband thinks we should get him a cheap 20 inch bike until he feels ready for the taller bike, then spend more on a better quality bike that he can use for years. Does this sound like a good plan? Any bike recommendations for either they low or high end? My son is pretty hard on stuff. Thanks!

DS1 hd a chep bike (from Toys R us) until recently. I took him to a local bike shop and he pickend out s nice Cannondale - solely based on it's color, lol - that was more than I wanted to spend, about $280. The shop salesperson told me that we could go with a 20-incher but I decided to just get the 24 and hope that DS1 did okay with it, rather then spen 100 bucks and have to buy a new bike next spring...long story short, DS1 LOVES his bike. He had JUST learned to ride without training wheel before we bought the Cannondale and he is doing GREAT on it. He told my brother, wow this is a really good bike, it doensn't hurt when I run into things! lol again. We are in the city and he can ride right off of/up onto the curb, which makes a huge difference. Also I have DS2 who is 5, so in a few years he'll be riding this bike so in our case it was totally worth it.

Oh also, DS1 hs low frustration tolerance and tends to throw his bike when he is frustrated or falls off it, etc. So far the Cannondale is hanging in there with minimal damage :-)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My 7 and 8 year olds just moves to 24" bikes. We wanted that cannondale, but the one at our store was a pricier model. $420 msrp. They both left crying on different days that I couldn't buy it. We got a trek mt 240 and a specialized hotrock - one from CL for $125 and the other from the bike shop (used) for $125. The size was a stretch for the 6.5 year old, but he has been fine. It'll be perfect in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized all make great bikes. Any of those would be a good choice.

I think what might be more important is what kind of bike does he want? Mountain? Hybrid? BMX? They all have their own styles and "fits." What is he planning to do with his bike?

In general, though, I would size up if he is right at the cusp, and get a better bike from the start.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Can he still ride his old bike? I agree that I'd want to go with the larger bike. We are holding off on upgrading DDs bike right now to see what she will fit on in the spring. If we bought her something now we wouldn't get much use out of it. Her bike is tiny and she'd be more efficient on a bigger bike but she can and does ride the tiny one.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I'd get a used Specialized or Trek off Craigslist. I think the better name bikes have lighter aluminum frames vs heavy steel ones on the cheaper bikes you find at TRU.
    Mommy to DS 2007

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
    I'd get a used Specialized or Trek off Craigslist. I think the better name bikes have lighter aluminum frames vs heavy steel ones on the cheaper bikes you find at TRU.
    if you can find one off CL (or ask on FB if any friends have kids that have outgrown theirs recently)that would be the best. If not, I'd go with the Trek.
    Last edited by KpbS; 09-20-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo
    K

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    My 8 year old son has outgrown his old bike and needs a new one. He is tall enough for a 24 inch bike but he said he would feel more comfortable on a 20 incher. My husband thinks we should get him a cheap 20 inch bike until he feels ready for the taller bike, then spend more on a better quality bike that he can use for years. Does this sound like a good plan? Any bike recommendations for either they low or high end? My son is pretty hard on stuff. Thanks!
    How about a Specialized Hotrock 20" from Craigslist? My DS is still using his. Next year he'll probably get a 24" one. If the 20" is not too small, he will be able to control it better than a bike that is too big.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Partly it depends on his personality, but I think that you and your Dh have a good plan. My oldest is almost the right size for a 24 inch, but is the kind of kid who doesn't deal well with feeling less than in perfect control of his bike. We're looking at CL for cheap 20 in bikes so he can feel confident. Then I'll buy him a nicer 24 in next summer. It helps that I know we can pass down the 20 in twice.

Ditto Pp that Trek (and Gary Fischer), Specialized Hotrock, Cannondale are all good names. Cheaper brands are Next, Magna, Huffy, Iron Horse (used to be a top brand, sold out several years ago). Cheaper brands are fine if you're a bike around the neighborhood type of family. BMX bikes don't have multiple gears or usually hand breaks so they may/may not be what he's looking for.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas! Our neighborhood had a garage sale today and we bought a new Magna bike for $30. My son has been riding it all afternoon! He likes the security of the smaller bike. He will definitely need a 24 inch by spring, so that will give me time to look for a nicer bike. I don't know much about types of bikes so I think a visit to the local bike store is in order. I will also keep an eye on Craig's list. I need a bike too so I can go with him. :-)