WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quick question for those that participate in 5ks-

I am participating in my first 5K ever today. Is it okay to wear that shirt that they gave me at packet pick-up, or does that brand me as a newbie?

Rarick0 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Go ahead and wear it! Lots of people wear the free tshirt in the races I've done. I often don't because I get really hot and usually prefer to run in a tank, but I think wearing the shirt is a nice way to show your support of the race too.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I always wear my 5k shirt the day of the race. I wouldn't worry at all, no one is going to notice.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Probably 60-75% of people will be wearing their race shirt, ime.

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I chickened out (of wearing the shirt) lol. I read an article somewhere (can't remember where, but it was on the internet, so it must be true, right?) that said never to wear new clothes on race day and never wear the shirt they give you until you've actually completed the race. But I would say 60% of the other runners did. So moral of the story- either works lol.

I am firmly in the "nothing new on race day" camp. I also don't like wearing a shirt for a race I haven't yet completed. It just feels like a jinx waiting to happen.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I have always heard the unofficial rule is never wear the shirt during the race--you can wear other old race shirts, but not the brand new one. Signifies newbie, violates the "nothing new on race day", its bad luck,etc etc. Or, you could just decide you don't care what other people think and wear it any way!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I ran a race today. Philly Rock n Roll. Very fun race if it comes to your area. I wore the race shirt. I never knew of any superstition so I just went ahead. I would probably say 70% of the people had on the shirt. My next race I am picking up my shirt day of so likely won't wear the shirt.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't wear my first half marathon shirt til I finished it/ earned it. But, I'd run 5k before my first race so I felt confident that I'd finish it.