Default Camping in New England for fall color?

I'm way behind the game but I realized that DD has a four day weekend for Columbus Day and it might be a good time to see some fall color. I think I'm both too late and too broke to stay at an inn or something cute like that (but feel free to make suggestions for that if you have any--there's always next year) so I was wondering about camping at a state park. We are tent campers--will it be crazy cold by Columbus Day to sleep in a tent? Any suggestions of places to go to see fall colors? We like to hike and I guess it would be fun to get a New England fall experience. We live south of Boston so the closer to that the better but we're willing to drive a reasonable distance for the four day weekend. Any suggestions/advice would be hugely appreciated.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

you could do a KOA in a cabin. The deluxe cabins even have heat. The KOA at Mystic CT is really nice.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would definitely recommend some sort of cabin at least, it can easily frost that time of year and be VERY cold over night. I was just looking at the Amazon DotD (8 person tent), and decided to pass because it is too cold (for us) to camp anymore this year!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If I were you I'd go up to Acadia. Lots of camping (Blackwell is EXCELLENT), views of both leaves and rocky ocean vistas are absolutely amazing, and Bar Harbor is right there for the day you just want to go and be tourists.

It will be in the 40s at night. That is doable with good sleeping bags, but not super fun, especially if you have to get up & go to the bathroom at night. If your budget is a little bigger, I'm sure you could find a nice home to rent for maybe $125/night in the area at homeaway/VBRO. Your own kitchen, bedrooms for everyone, bathrooms, privacy, kids can be loud without worrying about people in tents (or hotel rooms) nearby.....
    DD - 8
    DS - 5