Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Britax Boulevard vs Peg Perego for overseas travel

So I have done a lot of thinking (pretty sure the car seat.org forum thinks I am a nutcase!) and decided that between DD1's Foonf and Grandma's Next Fit, I have backup ERF seats for DD2 if she outgrows whatever I get her too early. So I probably won't bother with another huge seat like a Rainier. Trying to focus on easy installations, easy to clean covers, and ability to fit in an airplane seat/install in a 2007/2008 VW Passat wagon in England!

I like the Britax Boulevard (G4) and Peg Perego. They seem like safe, well made, well padded seats to me and they have rebound control.

So...between the Boulevard and the Peg, which is easier to fly with? They are similar sized, but I don't know if one is trickier for some reason. Would they both be easy latch installations in the VW?

I know I said ERF in DD2's seat doesn't matter because I can pass down DD1's for daily use, but those seats are very heavy (Foonf and getting a CT Advocate) and terrible for travel so would like to get the longest lasting between the two. I have read the Peg lasts longer in height than the Britax ....is this true IRL? Is the leg room better in the Peg as well? The weight difference won't matter, I don't think either will hit 40lbs before 4.

Or...do I just lug a CT Boulevard as a back up in case latch doesn't install well and the seat belts don't lock? Is the CT a fool proof installation? My DH would do the carrying or we would push it in a stroller through the airport.
    Last edited by flashy09; 09-23-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you positive the VW has LATCH/ISOFIX? How tall is your 2 yo? I've never had a problem installing either the britax or peg with LATCH, in any of the cars I've tried. Seatbelt is easier with britax, in general and having the built in lockoffs would be nice to not have to worry about if the belts lock.

PEg has slightly more height (esp if shorter torsoed kid), and definitely more legroom. I much prefer it for everyday use to G(x) britax for every day use, but if you're not super comfortable with seatbelt installs, I would get a britax CT. The britax travel cart is fantastic (I've used it for our radians - stacked 2 on there, no less and a britax) and 100% worth the money.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would get a britax marathon. My 3yo prefers the marathon to boulevard and it is lighter. I have traveled in the UK with it. It is such an easy seatbelt install and has built in lock offs so doesn't matter if there is isofix. This past trip we were moving it back and forth between two cars. Two minutes total each time.

It's true, a Marathon would be pretty easy to deal with... Click Tight is foolproof, but the seat weighs about 10 pounds more...not a problem with a cart, maybe?
    Glad you're at car-seat.org AND here, I never make it there anymore, even though I'm a moderator at both places <blush>.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    It's true, a Marathon would be pretty easy to deal with... Click Tight is foolproof, but the seat weighs about 10 pounds more...not a problem with a cart, maybe?
    Glad you're at car-seat.org AND here, I never make it there anymore, even though I'm a moderator at both places <blush>.
    So no latch and no locking seat belt!

Click tight the obvious choice? I am starting to get nervous the G4's are not going to last DD2, who is taller than DD1, until 4. But how important is RF once the kid is 3? I just looked at the Foonf crash test head/chest injury numbers and they are not very different for RF and FF at 3 yrs old...is that just that seat or do those numbers not mean much IRL crashes?

I assume the Advocate is too wide to fly with?

Will 30 lbs be such a pain to fly with that it's worth renting a car with Isofix and getting the Peg?
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

RF to 3 is a fine goal, I think.
    A heavier seat isn't the worst thing in the world if you are flying with a second adult, if it were just you, I'd learn to use a locking clip on a Tribute (because it weighs 8 pounds, lol, and I'm a lazy traveler always alone and good at locking clips).
    I was playing with the Click Tight, it's just so cool, and the airplane install is just running the belt in the side grooves (the click wont work on top of a center buckle like a plane has), looks so easy
    Julie

RF to 3 is a fine goal, I think.
    A heavier seat isn't the worst thing in the world if you are flying with a second adult, if it were just you, I'd learn to use a locking clip on a Tribute (because it weighs 8 pounds, lol, and I'm a lazy traveler always alone and good at locking clips).
    I was playing with the Click Tight, it's just so cool, and the airplane install is just running the belt in the side grooves (the click wont work on top of a center buckle like a plane has), looks so easy
    Thanks! My BBB is going to put the click tights out tomorrow so I am excited to go and see them. They really do sound the easiest.

This week at preschool I was really tempted to use the car line, but I am nervous about the reaction to loading her way up RF into the Foonf. That's probably silly, but it makes me think of the Rainier for DD1. Is that a tricky install with a locking clip? Is the back pack travel feature very useful?

Of course the feature I like about the Rainier also makes me nervous! I hate seeing no sides by the legs and lower body and being so low profile. I feel like she is more in the line of fire in a side impact crash. Is that just me being ridiculous?

Does the Tribute only RF until 37 inches and FF until 40"? I am probably just going to keep DD1 RF and she is 36.5". DD2 is going to be taller so maybe this seat won't get me far enough.

How easy is the Guide 65 with a non locking seat belt?

Thanks so much for answering all my crazy questions, sorry I just keep coming up with more, lol!
    Last edited by flashy09; 10-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Leg injuries for all rearfacing kids are extremely low, I wouldn't worry about the low profile of the Rainier increasing her risk any.
    It's foldable, but heavy heavy heavy for travel. Still, with two adults, it's not unpossible (Me fail English? That's unpossible-Ralph Wiggum)
    Tribute is little, though I do know lots of kids who easily RF in it to and past age 3, might want to try it out? Forget the stated height limit and go by the 1 inch rule (a 40 inch kid might fit RF as long as they are leggy, Evenflo just says (or said? I thought it was higher now?) 37" because that's the height of the 3 year old crash test dummy. Sure Ride is bulkier but just as light, and easier to install RF, maybe it would be ok, too?
    Guide 65 is kind of a pain RF, you need a pyramid of noodles under that empty foot area, OR you need to be able to cram the seat in hard enough to the seatback to get it to stay in place. Not fun.
    Julie

Are you Maplesmom? If so, I like you over there, too
    Julie

Leg injuries for all rearfacing kids are extremely low, I wouldn't worry about the low profile of the Rainier increasing her risk any.
    It's foldable, but heavy heavy heavy for travel. Still, with two adults, it's not unpossible (Me fail English? That's unpossible-Ralph Wiggum)
    Tribute is little, though I do know lots of kids who easily RF in it to and past age 3, might want to try it out? Forget the stated height limit and go by the 1 inch rule (a 40 inch kid might fit RF as long as they are leggy, Evenflo just says (or said? I thought it was higher now?) 37" because that's the height of the 3 year old crash test dummy. Sure Ride is bulkier but just as light, and easier to install RF, maybe it would be ok, too?
    Guide 65 is kind of a pain RF, you need a pyramid of noodles under that empty foot area, OR you need to be able to cram the seat in hard enough to the seatback to get it to stay in place. Not fun.
    Ok, so no worries about vehicle intrusion? Do the side airbags reach that low - I feel like they might protect her in the Foonf, but her head would be too low in a Rainier.....why do I think of these things?!?!

That is amazing to know that I don't have to follow the height limits! In that case what about the Pria or Safety 1st Elite 80 for one of the convertibles that doesn't travel? They look so roomy and comfortable and all DD1 wants is a seat with a cupholder. I love those Bohemian colors on the Pria as well, lol.

How padded are the Sure Ride and Tribute for long night flights?

Will rule the Guide 65 out!

Thanks SOO much. I have no idea why I find all this carseat buying so overwhelming and fascinating at the same time, lol!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast