Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default ISO: indestructible dog toys

Is there such a thing as indestructible dog toys? Our 110 pound shepherd has destroyed yet another today. Anything furry or squeaky doesn't last an hour; he broke a "dogzilla" toy today. His "Kong" stick he's taken chunks out of, his "dog savers" tire he's ripped in half....

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about marrow bones? You can get soup bones from a butcher or Whole Foods. My dog used to like a knuckle bone too. You can also buy them frozen at specialty pet stores. Does he like antlers? Those were also a hit around here. A split one went quicker, but she liked it more. A more studious chewer would probably do fine with the whole version kind. My dog also loved Himalayan yak milk bones; those lasted awhile for her but my sister's cane corso went through an extra large one in ten minutes. At $15 dollars for a bone, it was an expensive ten minutes.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The best things I have found for my big dog are beef marrow bones and the black Kong. Any made of fabric gets shredded within minutes. The "indestructible" ones take only slightly longer. My dog does love playing with the fabric scraps though.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our labs have always destroyed every toy within minutes. Christmas morning is hilarious - first they rip that paper tag,then the fabric tag, and eventually the squeaker and the rest is shredded. We have always thought that they are protecting us from the evil stuffed animal creatures that come alive at night. They are great dogs tho - they have never chewed a human toy.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sent too soon - only indestructible chew toy (other than a kong innwhichnthey lose interest once all peanut butter is out) are elk horns. Even regular antlers are done in an hour or so (and produce bad gas). We have some big black elk horns that have lasted months (specialty pet store in town).

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I second the black kong - our lab has one and its probably 8 years old! She loves stuffed toys but destroys them very quickly.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) who even destroyed black kongs.

Something he did love though we're jolly balls! The ones with the handle (which eventually he chewed off but it took awhile).

It's actually a horse toy! I think it was the only things that we got a few months out of- but it was well loved!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PU...&pi=SY200_QL40

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Is there such a thing as indestructible dog toys? Our 110 pound shepherd has destroyed yet another today. Anything furry or squeaky doesn't last an hour; he broke a "dogzilla" toy today. His "Kong" stick he's taken chunks out of, his "dog savers" tire he's ripped in half....
    Have you tried "unstuffed" toys? For some reason, if they are an unstuffed "stuffed" animal, they last longer. We have one that's a racoon and the squeaker in the tail went within minutes, but the one in the head works after weeks, which has to be a record.

We have a rope that is nearly as old as our dog (2+ years). It's rather pitiful looking, but still solid. It's a twisted rope, with two knots on the end. I believe there was a tennis ball on one end, but that didn't last long. We have another rope that's braided and it hasn't fared as well. My daughter re-braids it occasionally.

We also have a fire hose toy that is for fetching. She doesn't use it as a chew toy, it would probably go if she worked at it, but somehow she thinks of this one as a fetch toy vs. a chew toy even though she has free reign to do what she wants with it whenever she's outside.

I was trying to find brands for mine and came across this.... http://www.indestructibledog.com/ no firsthand knowledge though.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have two labs that are both serious chewers. We like the frozen marrow bones but can only give those with close supervision as one of my labs has broken off shards of bone before. We also like the thick braided bull sticks and elk antlers.

For toys, we have a Jolly ball that gets a good bit of play and has lasted several months. We also have a zogoflex bone that held up pretty well. Those have a guarentee and they will replace if it is destroyed.

I also agree with khm about the "unstuffed" toys. We have two unstuffed raccons that have lasted about 4 months. The squeekers are long gone, but the toys are still in one peice and get played with regularly. I was really surprised they have lasted, but without any stuffing to pull out my two don't chew too much on them and will just toss them around.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

My dog shreds anything with a seam and almost all toys, including the ones touted as indestructible. The toys he has that have lasted:

Black kong
    Huge, thick rope with knots on both ends
    Elk antler, some marrow bones
    Nylabone Galilleo
    Kong ball we use for fetch instead of tennis balls
    And I don't know what it's called, but it's blue, has three bumps that look like spheres connected at their bottom halves, and a hole. I fill it with kibble, and it dispenses it as the dog rolls it around, but, unlike similar products, it isn't loud, and he can pick it up and move it if it gets stuck in a corner. He loves it! I don't leave it out for him but give it at special times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast