Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before you get that time back unless you hire a sitter. Most toddlers I know nap from 1-3.
    Yeah, even when he does go down to one nap it's gonna be something like 12-2 or 1-3. I would use the time to do laundry, prep dinner, etc, and do outside errands in the evenings or on weekends.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Wow, that's a nice schedule!

So basically it sounds like I need to put him in for a nap earlier. This is going to be so so hard for me! I specifically cut my work hours last year (I used to work until 3)- which wasn't easy to do at all- because I needed time for errands. Life was very stressful before I cut my hours and DH and I felt it was necessary. It is literally my only time to get out of the house during the week and it has been my sanity. I am so grateful for this little guy, don't get me wrong! It's just going to be hard to manage without that time to get out.
    I feel you!!!! I hardly ever go out during daytime except for my early morning errands and always try to be back home by 11am. It IS hard, so maybe talk with your DH to see if you can do your errands and out of house either during 1st or 2nd nap of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I know how you feel! I go stir crazy in the house all day but with a 3 yr old who naps after lunch and a baby who takes 3 naps a day, I have a hard time going anywhere! Sometimes I cant help but think how nice it will be to leave the days of napping behind.
    This is me to a T! My only sanity is that DH works from home 2x a week, and that's when I usually can get out if I need to in the mornings. But every afternoon anyone knows me usually finds me at home, ALWAYS. So sometimes I veer between being thankful for those naps for my own time or wishing it's behind us. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    Yeah, even when he does go down to one nap it's gonna be something like 12-2 or 1-3. I would use the time to do laundry, prep dinner, etc, and do outside errands in the evenings or on weekends.
    Yes to that!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is 3 and still naps from 1-3 pm. BDKMom is right, that time might be more useful doing dinner prep, etc. We do all our outside errands in evenings/weekends and combine them as much as possible. DH and I take turns usually, one evening, one of us will go get groceries after the kids are in bed.
    On weekends, it is sometimes a family outing Or one of us takes both kids somewhere and the other does the errands. It depends on how everyone is doing and what else we have planned - we don't skip the nap though, he still really needs it! If your DH has your DS in the mornings, can they do some of the errands together before or after the first nap?
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

I'll chime in with everyone else letting you know that 1-3 is going to be nap time for a looong time, so it's best to get used to it now and figure out how to use that time at home. I'm sorry, because it does stink to be stuck at home.

I used to nap my kids in the car sometimes just to get out! I could do a surprising number of things from my car. A lot of venders would be willing to bring things out to me, and I could use the drive-through bank. I also had my phone and could catch up on calls, reading, and tv. In decent weather, I'd just park somewhere pretty with the windows open. I also had a friend who'd sometimes come with me. The baby would sleep, and we could talk. I certainly wouldn't do that daily, but once or twice a week could be nice.

Thanks everyone for your input. The issue is that DH has a very unpredictable schedule and often works late at night, and that's not going to change. He is unable to go out in the mornings for errands with DS because he is working from home while watching DS so he doesn't have any free time (he's self employed).

When DD was younger, I used to work until 3 and then pick her up from playgroup and run my errands with her. She enjoyed getting and out and was a pleasure to have with me. Once she started school, she really just wanted to play at home and would give me a very hard time when we went out. Bribes would help once in a while but it just wasn't a solution for the long term. So we made the decision to cut my hours (even though it's tight financially) because it seemed like the only way to get things done and keep me sane.

DH's schedule still cannot change. I am going to have to manage without time to run out and that's going to be hard. I wonder if DD will get better about going out as she gets older.

DH thinks that for now, DS manages without an afternoon nap so I should just leave it as is. He runs his eyes and appears tired but doesn't get cranky. I just don't want to deprive him of sleep that he needs. Today he napped from 9-10:30 and then went back in for a nap at 1 very easily and is still sleeping....he clearly will sleep if given the opportunity so that seems to mean he really does need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

If he's rubbing his eyes, he needs the sleep. I think I have to disagree with your DH on this one.

I work FT so I'm not able to relate to the stir-craziness of being home all day, but the only days we run errands are weekends. We do one grocery run per weekend (usually me solo with the kids b/c DH is working), dropping off or picking up dry cleaning during that once weekly trip and would throw a target run in there if someone had a b-day party to attend. Anything that could be purchased via amazon prime was/is. All clothes are purchased online (unless they are coming from target). If we need once a season things like shoes or other items that need to be tried on, it was a family weekend excursion.
    Maybe to combat the stir-crazies you could go to the park, for a walk, library, etc or something outside each day but as a PP mentioned pick one day a week to get all your errands run. One day of missing nap won't hurt your little one's schedule but I agree that he definitely still needs the sleep. Good luck!

I also work full time, so I can't relate to the craziness, either. But as PP said, I run errands on the weekend. We were somewhat lucky that at 8 months, DS could fall asleep where ever, but that did get harder as he got older.

You said your DH works late into the night. Is he working from home? DH works nights away from home now, but but when DS was a baby, he worked regular hours and was home. There were PLENTY of nights after we ate dinner and put DS to bed that I would run out to do errands solo (Target, quick runs to the grocery store). I don't go to bed until midnight most nights, so I'm a night owl anyway, but just something to consider.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe you could try a combo approach: one day/week wait to do errands until after you pick up DD, one day/week let him skip nap, save a few errands for weekends. I definitely would not skip nap every day, just out of fear it would wreck his nighttime sleep. If this still isn't enough "getting out of the house" time, I would try planning some outdoor activities that your DD would enjoy and would let you be out and about a little. I'm more of a home body, though, so I don't really relate to the need to get out every day. Hope you can find a solution that works for your family!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2