View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Ebola?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - I am panicked. I think the disease will become widespread in the US

1 0.61%
  • 4 - I am pretty concerned, I think a lot of people in the US will catch it.

11 6.71%
  • 3 - A little concerned, I think there will be small outbreaks throughout the US.

50 30.49%
  • 2 - Not really concerned. Maybe there will be an outbreak in Texas, but probably not.

14 8.54%
  • 1 - Not concerned. The chances of catching it are pretty remote.

59 35.98%
  • 0 - I think the chances of catching it are similar to winning the lottery.

29 17.68%
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default On a scale of 0-5, how concerned are you about Ebola?

I'm a zero. I pray for the people who have it, and I certainly don't want to catch it. But I'm not even vaguely concerned. I'm just wondering, because in the Nancy Snyderman thread someone mentioned people being panicked. And that's not what I'm seeing IRL. No one on our neighborhood FB page, or our PTA page has mentioned it at all. Poll coming!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The only things that have shown up on my FB newsfeed recently are news articles from reliable sources stating FACTS, and posts expressing concern/compassion for those either in quarantine, who have been exposed, or who were friends/relatives of victims. I've also seen a couple of photos from my scientist friends who are in Africa helping with the effort by training healthcare workers, etc. My FB friends are largely doctors/scientists/engineers...basically people who know what proper research is...

I rate my concern at a 1 right now. I think there's work to be done in the US in learning from the mistakes/inefficiencies/inconsistencies that have happened so far regarding what happens when a possible Ebola patient presents to a healthcare facility and in implementing consistent and robust SOPs during and after these events. This will be an evolving effort since, well let's face it...it's the first time we've ever had to deal with it.

eta: nice article from a local columnist:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/colum...s-on-ebola.ece
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-13-2014 at 12:41 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd say a 1 but really .5.

I'm about a 2 . Would probably be a 1 but I am close to Dallas and everyone is a little freaked out around here!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'm a zero. I pray for the people who have it, and I certainly don't want to catch it. But I'm not even vaguely concerned. I'm just wondering, because in the Nancy Snyderman thread someone mentioned people being panicked. And that's not what I'm seeing IRL. No one on our neighborhood FB page, or our PTA page has mentioned it at all. Poll coming!
    I haven't checked my FB feed in a few days, but I don't think it will be on most people's radar!

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OK I'll be the first and say 5. If I were in a rural area I'd probably not freak out so much. The fact that I'm in NY and knowing how congested everything is I'm very worried. My only consolation at the moment is there's no cases in New York and the fact knowing that it won't spread until someone is sick.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

I'm not worried about Ebola at all. So a zero.
    Green Tea, mom to three

I'm not where I live but...DH has to fly to Dallas for a work meeting in a few weeks. I'm not excited about that at all.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm not personally worried, since I don't travel to West Africa and don't have close family members/coworkers who do. I am personally more concerned about Lyme disease, frankly.

I honestly don't understand why Americans are concerned for themselves. If we're actually concerned about Ebola, let's talk about ways to support the countries where massive numbers of people are actually dying because they are impoverished and have disintegrating infrastructure. If you personally live in Liberia or Sierra Leone, then you are absolutely right to be scared. But if you live in a wealthy country with high quality medical care, then the best way to protect yourself is to start throwing money at organizations who are actually working at ground zero.

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not so worried about it here in the US but do worry about it when we travel to the Dominican between the air travel and exposure to people traveling across the world. Still not a huge concern.
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast