View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Ebola?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - I am panicked. I think the disease will become widespread in the US

1 0.61%
  • 4 - I am pretty concerned, I think a lot of people in the US will catch it.

11 6.71%
  • 3 - A little concerned, I think there will be small outbreaks throughout the US.

50 30.49%
  • 2 - Not really concerned. Maybe there will be an outbreak in Texas, but probably not.

14 8.54%
  • 1 - Not concerned. The chances of catching it are pretty remote.

59 35.98%
  • 0 - I think the chances of catching it are similar to winning the lottery.

29 17.68%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am between 3-4. I wish more was being done to contain the current cases and to prevent additional cases from entering the USA. I think more stringent measures should be taken re quarantines and travel to/from affected countries.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Somewhere b between 0 and 1. I am concerned, but mostly because I question (and have from the beginning) the readiness of smaller hospitals and their staff for something like this. I don't mean that I am concerned about it resulting in a substantial outbreak of any type, but just that that medical staff may be exposed due to lack of training and equipment. I think it is unfortunate that the Sheriff who wasn't feeling well opted for an urgent care type of clinic. No, he doesn't have ebola, but it seems like anyone potentially exposed (even though he was not in contact with Duncan) should be provided with a better plan or know not to head to something like urgent care. So in that respect, I am concerned, not about it becoming widespread by any means, but I feel for healthcare workers who are not totally accustomed to the necessary protocol. I'd put myself somewhere between 0 and 1. I just feel for the healthcare workers, hospitals, etc. that may be in over their heads, not properly equipped, or adequately trained yet (I know they are trained, but it takes a good bit of practice to make those protocols routine and error-free, and when people are stressed, sometimes mistakes are made).
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-13-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I'm a 1. I'm not concerned for myself but I'm heart broken for the people in west Africa who are dealing with it. Especially the stories about the orphans. I'm much more concerned about enterovirus and the flu
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I voted 1. Unless it mutates into an airborne disease then its just not on my radar of real concern. There are many other illnesses that worry me, and Ebola just isn't one of them.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I'm a 0. I heard a piece on NPR the other day that said the fear of Ebola broke down pretty directly along party lines and opinion of president Obama. Democrats and those who approved of Obama were unconcerned. Republicans and those critical of Obama were afraid. This didn't surprise me for a number of reasons.

I'm a little surprised by this. My neighborhood is very purple, and like I said, no one has posted anything on our FB page about ebola.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'm a little surprised by this. My neighborhood is very purple, and like I said, no one has posted anything on our FB page about ebola.
    Not me. My area is pretty red and lots of people are pretty hysterical. I had one friend asking what to put in her ebola-emergency survival kit (and was serious!), and another friend the posted a captioned picture of Pres. Obama giving a speech in a hazmat/protective suit with the caption along the lines of 'There is no need to worry about ebola'. (And we are in Missouri, no scares, and not really a highly populated/touristy area like NYC.)

I am a 1. More concerned about the spread in Africa than here. I would not mind a temporary ban on travel from the most highly affected areas because I do think people may try to purposely come here knowingly infected/exposed for better treatment. Also concerned about all of our troops deployed/deploying to the area (I mean I think it's a good thing but the risks of them getting infected is concerning.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

On a global scale, I am concerned and sad. I feel for the parents of the 2 yr old Ebola patient who could not hold and console her. I feel horribly for all those in the caring and medical professions, putting themselves in harm's way for the good of others. On a domestic level? Probably a 2, given that I declined a work trip to S. Africa not wanting to deal with any Ebola hassle when returning to the US. It's not so much that I think there will be an outbreak in TX (I don't), as I don't think any country is prepared for the level of care needed to truly safeguard against an epidemic of something that contagious. In other words , the US can be super-careful for 5, 10, even 50 patients suspected of Ebola, but not 100s.

for Sandy Hook

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    the US can be super-careful for 5, 10, even 50 patients suspected of Ebola, but not 100s.
    I just keep wondering what will happen during flu season. How could hundreds (thousands?) of people with the flu possibly be quarantined or isolated while tests are being run to determine if it's flu vs Ebola... and then how will they have the resources to do contact tracing if needed.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm a 1. It's on my radar and I am tracking updates. However. That's about it so far.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not even on my radar, unless it's become airborne, which it hasn't.

Flu and enterovirus, on the other hand, have me a bit more concerned.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast