Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 9-year-old would definitely not have wanted to watch Malificent. I would ask your DD - it really depends on her friends.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, well a movie party is out. DD didnt like that idea. She wants to decorate cupcakes. So maybe we can make their own pizzas, decorate cupcakes, and then they could just play a few games? Like twister or Pin the Tail on the donkey?

What do you do to make pizza making easy?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are going to do an art party for soon-to-be 10 yo. I am going to buy packs of canvases at Hobby Lobby (using the 40% coupon) and pick up some cheap craft paint to let them do whatever they want on the canvases. Then, they are going to be a cupcake artist and decorate it their hearts content.

DD also requested we buy some blank canvas bags at Hobby Lobby so they could decorate those. Not sure exactly what we are going to do with them yet. I may buy an iron on initial and let them iron it on and then bedazzle it or something.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Ok, well a movie party is out. DD didnt like that idea. She wants to decorate cupcakes. So maybe we can make their own pizzas, decorate cupcakes, and then they could just play a few games? Like twister or Pin the Tail on the donkey?

I got pizza dough at trade joes and divided it into smaller pieces (like 3 per ball), but you could just buy premade small boboli crusts if you wanted. I had platters of toppings (pepperoni, olives, and some other things) and a few bowls of shredded cheese and sauce. I baked the pizzas on cookie trays lined with parchment paper so I could write everyone's name below their pizzas. It was kind of messy, especially since the girls needed flour to turn their dough ball into a pizza crust. But the girls did have an awesome time.

We played "cooking" games that the girls enjoyed. I split the girls into two teams and had two large bowls of mini marshmallows. Each team was responsible for transporting all of the mini marshmallows from their bowl to a bowl on the other side of the room with random cooking tools...like a spatula, tongs, whatever random stuff you can find in your cooking utensil drawer. The kids had a blast doing it. We also had a jelly bean tasting activity, which was entertaining as well. I had also purchased aprons and chefs hats, which the girls decorated with fabric markers. They brought those home as their favors.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I got pizza dough at trade joes and divided it into smaller pieces (like 3 per ball), but you could just buy premade small boboli crusts if you wanted. I had platters of toppings (pepperoni, olives, and some other things) and a few bowls of shredded cheese and sauce. I baked the pizzas on cookie trays lined with parchment paper so I could write everyone's name below their pizzas. It was kind of messy, especially since the girls needed flour to turn their dough ball into a pizza crust. But the girls did have an awesome time.

We played "cooking" games that the girls enjoyed. I split the girls into two teams and had two large bowls of mini marshmallows. Each team was responsible for transporting all of the mini marshmallows from their bowl to a bowl on the other side of the room with random cooking tools...like a spatula, tongs, whatever random stuff you can find in your cooking utensil drawer. The kids had a blast doing it. We also had a jelly bean tasting activity, which was entertaining as well. I had also purchased aprons and chefs hats, which the girls decorated with fabric markers. They brought those home as their favors.
    I second the above, either split a dough, use small pizza crusts or even english muffins. Have all the toppings precut and ready. Make sure you have their names somewhere. If they are doing cupcakes too, choose how much decorating you wish to have them do. You can do mini cupcakes, have bowls of frosting with small spatulas or use little bags with one corner cut like an icing bag would be. Sprinkles, colored sugars, and little candies in bowls with spoons.

Games- Pin the mustache on the chef, relay race with a spoon and a large vegetable (pepper or the like), maybe some kind of craft coming up with their own recipe (http://whathappensinfirstgrade.blogs...-seasonal.html)...
    Here are some more ideas... http://www.kids-cooking-activities.c...ty-games1.html
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When my DD was 7, we did a sleepunder party that included make your own pizzas and a sundae bar. We used pita breads for the pizza crusts and then had a ton of toppings out and small bowls of sauce at the table and island. Each girl had a pizza making station and didn't have to wander around to get toppings - everything was within reach. It was super easy and didn't make a mess. We rotated pizzas through the two ovens and they didn't take long b/c the bread was already baked so everything just needed to warm and melt.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You can do tortizzas...sauce, cheese and toppings toasted on flour tortillas. Speeds up oven time because they only need like 7-8 minutes IIRC. We served them at the smoothie shop where I used to work.

Spa party was a hit here and can be done cost-effectively via dollar tree, etc.
    Other ideas:

Baking party
    Cookie or cupcake decorating party (cute boxes for the cookies to take home as the favors)
    Movie night party with a popcorn bar (have popped corn and boxes/bags and other candies, dried fruits, whatever to mix in or top with- lots of ideas on pinterest)
    Smores bar (we did with a camping party but with just 2 hours you may not have time? A scavenger hunt, DYI smores bar and small containers to make their own "train mix" from a variety of fixings)
    Ice cream shoppe party was a huge hit. Lots of ice cream themed favors and such to be had. Set up a sundae bar, do an ice cream related craft.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD1 just had her 9yo party. It was a cake and chex mix party, lol. She invited the girls from her class, and including her and her sisters, there were 10 girls. They did a craft, then I gave them an advanced version of twirly ribbons. They were silk banners that were about 10 inches wide and 6 ft long, on dowls fastened with duct tape. Each girl got a pair. They ran outside on the driveway and twirled and danced, hula hooped, and jumped on our mini trampoline, until it was time for cake. I made a playlist of party music and blasted it from the garage. Kids ran in for cake, then ran out again until pickup time. It misted the whole time so the kids were pretty mud spattered by the end but no one seemed to care, including the parents. Oh we had a pinata at the end.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok. So now DD WANTS a movie party! We are going to do an e-vite.

Is it a bad idea to have the party on a Friday night from say 5-8pm? Would Saturday be better?

Anyone have good wording to use for the invitations?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast