Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If I remember correctly from previous posts Flashy is a member of the family whose name is the one you think of when you think aluminum foil....correct me if I am wrong!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am not convinced that there is a link to Alzheimer's. I am also curious why the OP had their hair tested.

http://m.alz.org/myths.asp

Ugh, I'm still getting plastics out of my house... I forgot about tinfoil.
    I'm also interested in OP's discussion about testing for aluminum in hair. I have never heard of that.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    What does this mean? Was he a chemist? I'm just curious how he was exposed.
    He wasn't making it himself, but his family company produced aluminum and he was the one that developed the idea of it for personal use in kitchens and replacing glass bottles with aluminum cans. So he was just around a lot of it and of course it was highly used in the house. His brother died of a brain tumor (also in aluminum business). It's not a sure link, but makes me a little nervous!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Hi sorry friends, I am OP and I got caught up in a super hectic weekend!

To answer your question: my daughter has ADD and other (mostly gut) health issues and we got no help from Johns Hopkins or Hershey Medical (2 of the best teaching hospitals on the east coast), so we are working with bio-integrative doctors to heal her (and it is working!). At the outset of our work with the bio-integrative docs, we did a bunch of tests, one of which was a hair metal analysis. The hair test was probably the least important of our tests, but proved very interesting! (in case you are wondering, the neurotransmitter test, that anyone can do, was the most telling for us!). We had all four of our family tested for heavy metals and my hubby was really toxic (he worked in a lightbulb manufacturing plant - that makes sense) and 3 of us were slightly high in aluminum.

I have already switched the family to more natural deodorants, and made a few other small changes. The *big* change I must make (in my eyes) is the use of foil, though. I have not read actual medical literature on how much aluminum leeches from the foil into our foods, but I am guessing that SOME must, and want to eliminate it.

Thanks for your help, all, I am off to look for parchment paper and liners and stainless pans

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Aluminum will leach the most in acidic environments.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieSmith View Post
    To answer your question: my daughter has ADD and other (mostly gut) health issues and we got no help from Johns Hopkins or Hershey Medical (2 of the best teaching hospitals on the east coast), so we are working with bio-integrative doctors to heal her (and it is working!). At the outset of our work with the bio-integrative docs, we did a bunch of tests, one of which was a hair metal analysis. The hair test was probably the least important of our tests, but proved very interesting! (in case you are wondering, the neurotransmitter test, that anyone can do, was the most telling for us!). We had all four of our family tested for heavy metals and my hubby was really toxic (he worked in a lightbulb manufacturing plant - that makes sense) and 3 of us were slightly high in aluminum.

I have already switched the family to more natural deodorants, and made a few other small changes. The *big* change I must make (in my eyes) is the use of foil, though. I have not read actual medical literature on how much aluminum leeches from the foil into our foods, but I am guessing that SOME must, and want to eliminate it.

Thanks for your help, all, I am off to look for parchment paper and liners and stainless pans
    Thank you for sharing this. I have an ADD family as well and find this very interesting! Off to check my pans.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's interesting. I googled as I was curious. I didn't come up with any recommendations for testing for aluminum via hair. The medical sites seem to suggest you need to do a blood test, bone biopsy, urine test or stool sample.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3