Default Does the LATCH system have a maximum weight limit?

I drive a 2005 VW Passat (DOM 09/04) and DH drives a 2008 Acura MDX (DOM 12/07). DD is 40 pounds and sits in a Britax Marathon 70 in both cars. We have them installed with the LATCH system.

I can't seem to find anything about maximum weight for lower tethers in our car manuals. I thought I recall that it is no longer safe to use LATCH once they exceed the weight limit. I guess that means using the seatbelts instead??

Does anyone know if there is a reliable website to find this out or do I have to call the car dealers?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There should be a sticky thread in the car seat forum with the limits, but I'm pretty sure with a 40lb kiddo you need to switch to seat belt, but double check.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The latch law is now 65lbs of combined child and car seat weight. Britax is saying 40lbs of child weight to switch (most of their seats besides the Clicktights are 16-20lbs) on the G4s and it's what I would do on any of their previous seats as well.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Somewhere on the side of your seat, on the labels, it has fine print that 40lbs is the max lower LATCH for your seat. Britax has given that as the top limit for some years now. The seatbelt install is super easy and secure, though, so you won't miss the LATCH, I don't think. DO keep using the top tether.

(I was going to check the online manual, but evidently I can't guess at a good enough date to pull up your model... try looking here, anyway, it might be easier to search than your paper manual... http://www.britaxusa.com/support/user-guides. Post your DOM if you want me to have a go at finding the limit)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thank you!

Jools, I will definitely double check with that link and I can easily find the DOM. It sounds like it's time for a seatbelt install in both cars though! Thank you!