Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any opinions on Junie B. Jones books?

Dd wanted to order a few from her scholastic book order. I was reading the reviews on amazon. Either people love these books or absolutely hate them. There was virtually no in between. I want dd to develop the same love of reading I had as a kid but I would prefer her not read super obnoxious books...opinions? How bad are they?
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Haven't read them but wrt annoying books...my ds1 loved Captain Underpants. Not my favorite but I was thrilled that he devoured them. I'm happy to sit back and let them read slightly crappy books if it means they are happily reading.
    Why not check some out from the library and she can see if she likes them?

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD loved them, it got her to read, I did not love them, but they were cute and I loved how much DD1 loved them. Go for it.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Even by boys liked them. Anything that perks their interest to read Even Capt Underpants.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't care for Junie and neither of my kids liked them.

But they both loved Captain Underpants. And I think they are really funny.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My best friend highly recommended the Junie books. I haven't tried them yet, but I can't imagine she'd like anything that was super obnoxious.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't like them, but I am not 7. If she already likes them, I say go for it. They aren't so offensive you should shield your child from them, especially if the kid is already familiar with them and thinks they're funny.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the opinions! I think she said they have read them at school so she is familiar with them. I may order the thanksgiving book in the scholastic order and see if she actually reads it!!! I am going to have to look into captain underpants...that sounds right up her alley....and ds1's as well! I so want them to love reading!!!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I banned them. I dont like how she speaks to her family. IMO she is extremely disrespectful. My kid already leans towards being sassy and I didnt feel she needed that as an example. I say pick one or 2 up at a library and browse them and see for yourself. I think you're right; people either love or hate them.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I banned them. I dont like how she speaks to her family. IMO she is extremely disrespectful. My kid already leans towards being sassy and I didnt feel she needed that as an example. I say pick one or 2 up at a library and browse them and see for yourself. I think you're right; people either love or hate them.
    On the other hand........ I read a lot, and almost none of the characters in my books are good role models. Part of the joy literature is reveling in the outrageous and unacceptable. The same way we like scary stories. There is pleasure and excitement in enjoying things on the on page or screen that are out of bounds in real life.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast