Default What type of marker to write on rocks?

I've said it time and time again - no one warned me that it's really helpful to be crafty when you become a parent. I'm certainly not!

For part of the favors for DD's party this upcoming weekend, we would like to give personalized rocks to the kids (it's partially a rock climbing party). I have the rocks - but what type of marker do I use to write on the rocks? Is it regular Sharpie, or is there some specialty item that would be better?

Thanks!

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would use a Sharpie. But, they also have Sharpie paint pens, as well as "outdoor" paint you can get at Michael's that might work, too.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    I've said it time and time again - no one warned me that it's really helpful to be crafty when you become a parent.
    Tell me about it . . . we already have to make a poster once a year for the birthday of one of the teachers at The Biscuit's school (everyone gets assigned one) and it is a nightmare. Glitter glue, foam letters, themed stickers . . . seriously, they should have classes in this stuff. I already know that I am completely unprepared for dioramas and such in grade school.

No one has ever asked me to make a poster or diorama in 20+ years of practicing law, so I am not sure what the point of all the arts and crafts is . . .
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd do sharpie or paint pen.

And I totally get you. It's not so much the craft as it is the clean up. Glitter, glue, scraps, sequins, boondoggle, you name it is constantly strewn about my house. Now that DD1 is 7 she's a little more capable of doing things on her own without my help, but I still dread the phrase, "Mooooooommmmm, can I do a project?!"
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

DS2 got a pet rock at a fall carnival Saturday. They had spray painted the top of all the rocks and had the kids use a thin sharpie to draw faces. They had also cut small teeth out of white felt with adhesive on one side. He loved it.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

i would go with paint pen. depending on the age of the kids you might think about doing crayon on rock art at the party, very easy and fun. You heat the rocks in the oven at a low temp (maybe 200) and the crayon melts onto the rock.

Sharpie works great. You can spray some sealant or use clear nail polish if you want them shiny over it.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Glue or stick on some googly eyes and yarn hair and make a pet rock. Draw the rest of the face with Sharpies, just make sure you clean and dry the rocks first, and smooth rocks work better.