Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you lock your checked luggage?

Do you bother putting a lock on your checked luggage when you fly? I'm thinking maybe it only attracts more attention.
    DD Spring 2010

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Do you bother putting a lock on your checked luggage when you fly? I'm thinking maybe it only attracts more attention.
    Never. But what happens if you lock it and TSA wants to inspect it? Do they cut the lock to do it? Just wondering, because if they do, then locking it would be pointless...
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    Never. But what happens if you lock it and TSA wants to inspect it? Do they cut the lock to do it? Just wondering, because if they do, then locking it would be pointless...
    I heard you can get a TSA approved lock that they can open to prevent them from breaking your lock.
    DD Spring 2010

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Do you lock your checked luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    That's the point of using the "TSA compliant" locks (the ones with the special symbol on them). Each lock has a number that tells the TSA which of their master keys to use to unlock it, and they can then re-lock it after inspection. Most luggage locks sold now are TSA compliant.

I actually saw this in action one time when I got to the airport and realized my lock was jammed shut and wouldn't respond to the combination. The helpful TSA guy whipped out a ring of master keys and opened it in a second. (I realize that "helpful TSA guy" may be unusual...)

ETA: cross-posted...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do lock with tsa approved locks, more to keep the suitcase closed than to protect the contents. If someone wanted to get into the suitcase, they could, regardless of the locks.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We use TSA locks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

good to know! I just never lock my suitcases. Anything of real value I carry on with me.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

We use TSA approved locks. Sometimes we tie with a piece of twine or those plastic cinch tabs. We do this for both theft as well as your luggage accidentally opening up.
    Mommy to DS 2007

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I never lock my luggage and we travel a fair amount. I usually have a carry-on with me where I keep any valuables and important documents and items.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I heard you can get a TSA approved lock that they can open to prevent them from breaking your lock.
    We had a TSA approved lock on luggage that was broken for inspection. After that, we stopped bothering.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast