bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Lighting options for people with ROUGH little kids

I promise I do work on teaching DS3 not to be so destructive. I think in a few years this won't be such a big deal. BUT that's in a few years and I need light NOW!

I need more lighting in my LR and also in his bedroom. No overhead option because it is a rental with seriously complicated radiant heat ceilings. So it has to be lamps but it has to be STURDY. Anyone have any tips?

TIA!

Watching this thread because DS is starting to crawl and I am looking for something to in our living room instead of the nice lamps that were my grandmother's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Can you tuck in your floor lamps to keep them safe? Our last house had no overheard lights either so I had two floor lamps next to the couch and tucked in the end tables to keep them almost inaccessible to the kids, DS would sometimes climb over the couch to cause trouble. Use your furniture to create barriers around them.

For his bedroom just a lamp on the dresser. With the plug tucked in the back. With a high watt bulb it was very bright.

You aren't allowed to attach things to the walls? I know that there are some wall-mounted lighting options that plug in.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

I like the idea of wall mounted lights. Failing that, though, in your shoes I think I'd opt for lightweight but metal--so something that wouldn't hurt anyone, but would be less likely to break as well. IKEA has lots of options that might work for you. My biggest concern would be the lightbulbs. You don't want a CFL breaking, you know?
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by keh602 View Post
    My biggest concern would be the lightbulbs. You don't want a CFL breaking, you know?
    This is definitely one of my concerns! I think traditional light bulbs are much better, right? What other options are there?

I like the idea of somehow boxing in a floor lamp. I think I could do that in my LR.

I didn't even think about wall lighting. That might really work in some of the dark corners of my LR.

The boys' room already has one lamp on a tall dresser. It honestly works pretty well to be able to see, just isn't super pretty to look at. Maybe I need to wait longer to get more light in there. Though I'd love to be able to figure out how to light up the bunk beds a little bit.

Thanks for the suggestions!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Plug in wall sconces and LED bulbs is the way to go. IKEA has a nice selection of both.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?