Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can I ask about the whole nap thing? I only have 1, but I am still getting tired of how planning around the nap can ruin the whole day. Plus, I am planning for number 2 and I am very confused how to get #1 to all his activities when I have a little one who had to nap (my DH is not around a lot so it will be just me 90% of the time).

So how does it work? My DS currently takes a 2 hour nap. Do your kids just take shorter naps? Do you wake them up when you get where you are going? Do you ever just let them keep sleeping in the car do as not to disturb them? (We have a garage connected to the house). What if they don't fall asleep in the car - do they just go to bed earlier that night? Sorry for all the questions, but I have been wondering about this for a while!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am a big proponent of doing what works for you. My dd, because of our home life, will occasionally get very attached to me and wake several nights in a row and come into bed with me. I don't fight it since i know where it is coming from, i talk to her about the need to sleep in her own bed, but I don't force the issuce. Many people have told me i need to stop it cold, but it works for us. Do what you need to do.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngirl View Post
    Can I ask about the whole nap thing? I only have 1, but I am still getting tired of how planning around the nap can ruin the whole day. Plus, I am planning for number 2 and I am very confused how to get #1 to all his activities when I have a little one who had to nap (my DH is not around a lot so it will be just me 90% of the time).

So how does it work? My DS currently takes a 2 hour nap. Do your kids just take shorter naps? Do you wake them up when you get where you are going? Do you ever just let them keep sleeping in the car do as not to disturb them? (We have a garage connected to the house). What if they don't fall asleep in the car - do they just go to bed earlier that night? Sorry for all the questions, but I have been wondering about this for a while!
    I have one DC, and planning around the nap was tough sometimes. My DC took long naps, too. I always made sure we were home for nap, though, and I wouldn't try to get DC to nap in the stroller or carseat instead of being home. DC slept better in the crib - which was a good thing for all of us for the rest of the day. The biggest stress was if we were out close to nap time and then I had to get home quickly before DC fell asleep in the carseat, otherwise the nap would be shot. I'd play music to DC, sing loudly, etc. If DC fell asleep, DC would wake up if I tried to do the car-to-crib transfer and then not fall back asleep. It depends on the child. Many of my friends had kids who would fall asleep in the car and then stay asleep when transferred into bed. I would not wake DC early, even though DH often wanted me to. On vacations, we were more flexible - and we would also pay for it.

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just left ours in the car, parked in the garage, with the car door and the door to the house open. He slept (and still does sleep) many naps that way as a baby/toddler. Why risk waking them up to transfer them when they are sleeping just fine in the car seat??? The only times I couldn't do it were when it was really, really hot out. Then it got too hot. But if it was cold, I'd cover him up with a blanket! You find ways to manage with two...
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my neighbor did this so often he set up a camera in the garage
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We still are pretty good about naps. I think the biggest change for me is not "sweating it" so much. So that means that if I have an appointment in the morning that "might" interfere with her late morning nap, we still go and she usually falls asleep later and she's fine. Or she's a little fussy but will take an earlier afternoon nap. We just don't worry too much. Tomorrow kids get out at 11:30. She naps at 11. So it is kind of going to be difficult because she is really tired around then. I'm going to TRY to keep her awake until I pick up the big boys from school. It might mean that she falls asleep in the car and then doesn't transfer but I'm NOT GOING TO STRESS. I'll deal with her if she is happy and awake and hope that maybe she'll take a nap in the afternoon. Or else go to bed super early. She's easy so these strategies work for her.

We definitely TRY to stay put during her naps which can last as long as 3 hours. It means that DS3 and I read books, watch a show or two, eat lunch and play. But sometimes we have to be somewhere and we need to wake her early so we just do it. And she might adjust by taking a late afternoon nap or go to bed really early. Or like tonight she might fall asleep what seems like it might be for the night but then wake up after two hours, nurse one more time and then go to bed for the evening. That kind of "loosey goosey" schedule used to really bother me, but by deciding we'll just follow her cues and do what is best for the family, we're all happier, really!

I do have to say that this kind of thing would not have worked for DS3 AT ALL. He is extremely rigid and sensitive and needs his rest terribly. So for nearly 3 years the entire family revolved around his nap. I don't regret this. It was difficult but necessary and the whole family was better off with a well rested DS3. But DD is happy and fine. It is incredibly nice to have some semblance of freedom. Essential for us, really.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nice work! For me ... not sure how controversial they are but
    - we have a pretty rigid bedtime. and it is early.
    - I don't make my kids eat anything. this has worked very well for us.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yay for you Bisous! (hey that rhymes )

I was pretty rigid about the nap and frankly it has made Mopey an awesome sleeper. BUT she does not nap everywhere as a result. No skin off my teeth. I did already assume I could not be like this with a second.

And I completely agree about cleaning. I have a housekeeper who comes to do the deep cleaning while I do the laundry but every day beds are made, piles are diminished, toys are stored, etc and the house is straightened up. I cleaned my room before I did my homework every day in HS and college and I am the same way now (especially as I WAH). My mind is just calmer in a neat and organized house. And living and working in 700 sq feet with a toddler is crazy. My hubby and I are going to lose it when we have space one day
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2