trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Are harnessed boosters more comfortable than convertibles?

Asking for DH because he is making me nuts
    DD is not complaining, at all. She is currently RF in a blvd and symphony; plan to flip her in the next few months (around 4 years). She is well within the height/weight limits for both seats. DH is thinking we should look at a harnessed booster because they are made for "older kids" while the convertibles are for "babies". I tried explaining that convertibles are for babies and older kids, as long as they are within the limits, but he is worried she is/will be uncomfortable in a "baby seat". Is he right? I think he will be better once we flip her because her legs do look cramped, but I don't know. It seems like a waste of money to get a harness booster at this point when she still fits in the convertible. Thoughts? TIA, I can take it if I am wrong
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

DS rides in a Blvd normally, but we have an Evenflo Maestro (harnessed booster) for travel and friends' cars.
    He prefers the Blvd because he sits up higher and can see out the windows better.

I think the convertibles are more comfortable, because they are not as upright, and often have more padding (although I'm sure that depends on the seat). I plan to keep 3.5 year old DS1 in his marathon until he reaches the height limit for FF which I hope will be a while...

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    DS rides in a Blvd normally, but we have an Evenflo Maestro (harnessed booster) for travel and friends' cars.
    He prefers the Blvd because he sits up higher and can see out the windows better.
    Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    I think the convertibles are more comfortable, because they are not as upright, and often have more padding (although I'm sure that depends on the seat). I plan to keep 3.5 year old DS1 in his marathon until he reaches the height limit for FF which I hope will be a while...
    Thank you both!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

My kids loved their FF convertibles, it was never a problem. Tell him of course you WILL look for something better if it becomes necessary, of course, but don't spend money on something you think might be a problem if it's not a problem yet
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 just moved out of his BLVD a month ago at 6.5 yo because it was expiring. DS2 still rides in his BLVD at soon to be 5. We switched him to forward facing this summer at 4.5 yo. Both have been happy as clams in their seats.

OP here...I read DH all of your responses and he said laughing "So, basically you husband is an idiot." LOL! I told him you all were to nice too say something like that
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have been wondering that too! I need new convertibles and feel a little silly buying them since my oldest is almost 3 - most people would just get her FF now and in a combination seat. Anyway, my hope is that I can stick with these convertibles until 6 or so, but have no idea if that is possible!

For everyone with Britaxes, is there enough leg support for the older (4- 6) FF kids? Enough shoulder room? The Click Tight is on my (long) list of seats because of the high harness, but want to make sure it really is realistic that DD could use it comfortably until 6.

I do think the convertibles look more protected and cushy!

Sorry if I hijacked your thread!
    Last edited by flashy09; 10-22-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Flashy, go ahead with a convertible. Comfier, at least having the option to rearface (given the option, a lot of kids love sitting backwards, especially if they ever get jealous of the baby!), better for sleeping...
    Most kids don't make it to the full FF limit of convertibles, but if you make it to kindergarten, that's at least two good years in one, and a lot of combination seats are kind of a booger as boosters, you might end up with a way better booster straight out of the convertible. (like, you can just go straight to a Parkway or whatever awesome seat is out then, rather than messing with a Frontier, which brings some of us to tears, it's so hard to buckle kids under age 8 or so).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#