Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boogiemom View Post
    Does the school offer aftercare? At our school, those not picked up on time are sent to aftercare and charged accordingly.
    I was going to mention this as well. Our ES has drop-in care for those who are not regular attendees. You have to register to use it & it's $20 for an hour.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A fine won't work. In general people see a fine for late pick-up as paying for after care. This is about your time. It has to "cost" them something other than money. If it were me, I'd tell the offending parents face to face that if they cannot be there on time their child cannot be on the team. You are not a child care provider and you have a life to get to. They are taking advantage of you and will as long as you let them.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the aftercare idea is a great one! Though what if the parent refuses to register the child?

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could do what our preschool does and charge people depending on how late they are. I think our preschool does something like $5 per 5mins.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure fines would affect them or not. Our preschool did that and I was nearly never late. When I was going to be late, I called a friend to grab my kid and wait for me to get there and I was still only 1-2 minutes late (traffic from an OB appoint. usually). But, I did not want to pay the $5.

I'm going to look into the aftercare and see if they have a drop in program.

I'll chat with the other 2 regular coaches and see what we think is the best thing.

I do think we need to talk to the 2 families face-to-face and tell them this needs to stop. I hate to kick out their kids, but that might have to happen.
    Kris

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No advice but sympathy! I used to teach a preschool Sunday school class and every Sunday parents would pick their kids up 15 to 30 minutes late! We made announcements, put it in the bulletin, had the director talk to the worst offenders, and nothing changed. I quit after 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    There are 2 of us who end up staying (we alternate). I have more flexibility most times, but she has other practices to get to at least once a week. But, tomorrow, for example, she has to be at an ice rink 30 min after practice and needs most of that time to get there and for her kid to get ready for hockey. And my kids are going to an extra TKD class to test for their belts. That is 45 min later and at the same school, but they really need dinner first and need to change into their uniform, so I need to leave on time.

We have talked to them in person, but not singled them out to the other teammates. That was only in a group email.
    I'm just don't get people. I'd be really annoyed too.

I don't think you need to single them out to the other teammates. What I meant, was talk one on one with the parents. Like "look, you can not do this, my kids are suffering, you either have to get here on time, or your kid can't be on the team". The problem with charging them, is it doesn't solve the problem of your kids needing dinner and you not being there. I think there are plenty of parents who would pay the fine, and keep being late.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    No advice but sympathy! I used to teach a preschool Sunday school class and every Sunday parents would pick their kids up 15 to 30 minutes late! We made announcements, put it in the bulletin, had the director talk to the worst offenders, and nothing changed. I quit after 1 year.
    Where would the parents go? I'm assuming they were in church. So bizarre.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'm just don't get people. I'd be really annoyed too.

I don't think you need to single them out to the other teammates. What I meant, was talk one on one with the parents. Like "look, you can not do this, my kids are suffering, you either have to get here on time, or your kid can't be on the team". The problem with charging them, is it doesn't solve the problem of your kids needing dinner and you not being there. I think there are plenty of parents who would pay the fine, and keep being late.
    Yes, we need to do that. It's crazy. I don't get it either. Last winter, we had days that many parents were a few minutes late because of the weather. That didn't bug me, as you can plan and it's still worse than you thought. And I had one parent 30 min late because of an accident on the highway - but she texted me saying she was stuck, so at least we knew. But, last year one of this years offenders was 45 min. late on a good weather day. I lucked out when the principal came back into the school for an after school activity and he took the kids and started calling their school emergency contact numbers, since parents weren't answering my calls. Turns out the mom had been napping and didn't wake up in time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    Aren't they just in church? Where do they go? Or are they just chatting with parents and not picking up their kids?
    Kris

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    A fine won't work. In general people see a fine for late pick-up as paying for after care. This is about your time. It has to "cost" them something other than money. If it were me, I'd tell the offending parents face to face that if they cannot be there on time their child cannot be on the team. You are not a child care provider and you have a life to get to. They are taking advantage of you and will as long as you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    I think the aftercare idea is a great one! Though what if the parent refuses to register the child?
    I like this idea too. If they refuse to register, their child can't be on the team.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boogiemom View Post
    Does the school offer aftercare? At our school, those not picked up on time are sent to aftercare and charged accordingly.
    That's what our school does.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast