Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What's your schools child/staff ratio at recess and lunchtime?

We're having a problem with my kindergarten DS at school recess. We keep trying to get more info, only to find out that they don't have any because.... there are TWO adults "supervising" NINTY 5 and 6 year old kindergarteners (four classes of 23).

I have a hard time supervising DS with two friends during a play date; how can one adult handle that much? If there was ever a serious incident, I don't see how they could cope. The school's opinion is that since one adult always has a radio, they can call for help. I think this is completely ridiculous and not anywhere near acceptable. After-school daycare can only have 12 per adult.

What is your school like? Is this really the norm? The school seams to think I'm crazy to question it.

Usually there is 1 teacher per 2 classes. I'm assuming the other teachers have a conference at that time. That's the way every grade has been thus far (up tp 10th grade where they no longer have recess). However, I have rarely been present during recess so maybe it's not always like this.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The first month of school is "all hands on deck" for K recess. Three classes of 22-25 and 3 teachers, 3 aides.

By the end of the year it is just the 3 aides.

Older grades the teachers rotate with one staying in, so if there are 4 classes, 3 teachers stay out. They all have radios.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I am not 100% sure how recess duty works for K, but when I do duty at my school (4th and 5th) it's two teachers for approx 120 students.
    Green Tea, mom to three

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hmm. Not sure. I think there are 2 staff members out there. I think there are probably 2-3 classes cycling through (20-25/ class). I have no problems with this. I've seen it in action.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have 3 playground supervisors for up to about 100 kids. Seems to work well.
    Kris

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The school I work at has 2 aides for about 85 kinders. Teachers do not do recess or lunch duty (we have no specials, so this is our only prep time). The ratio is even worse once they get to first grade and are on the big yard.

I don't know the exact numbers, but what you describe sounds pretty close to typical at our school.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do think this is typical. But I also think this is why bullying so often happens at recess when there is a lack of adequate supervision.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

My school has 2 people working lunches, usually 5 classes. Always a teacher and an aide or a parent volunteer. I volunteer a lot during lunches and have found this sufficient.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast