Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I LOVE true homemade cakes that are baked from scratch. I don't care for the taste of box cakes; I would prefer Costco. However, most kids won't care. I think cake is cake to them.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This is your party and you can bake if you want too If a parent has issues they can bring their own. ( unless you know a child has an allergy and you want to supply allergy free)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I always do the homemade/Duncan Hines, so I prefer those.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

I have never heard of anyone being grossed out by homemade cake. I like Costco cake, and if I did a side by side taste test, I'd probably like it better than a box mix cake. But I have zero problem with a box mix cake.

As for chocolate or vanilla, if you are making them, make one of each.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Boxed vs Costco, I'd pick Costco for taste but homemade bc you can decorate it more creatively (different shapes, colors, candies...). If you have ingredients on hand, homemade from scratch really is easy too. . I use a recipe from a Williams Sonoma kids' cookbook so it's darned simple.

My husband would be grossed out Not by the cake but not knowing the cleanliness of the kitchen, ingredients, etc (not saying there are any of those issues OP!).

I would love scratch made but despise box cakes.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love Costco's vanilla cake with buttercream icing.

When you say "baked at home" do you mean from scratch or from a box? If from a box, totally just go wit Costco - WAY less trouble!! And by the time you buy all the stuff you need to decorate it, you're going to have spent at least what the Costco cake costs.

I love baked from scratch cake. But I also love Costco cake (vanilla is better IMO). For kids, cake is cake for sure.

If you're just wanting to decorate it yourself, you can have Costco just frost it in white with a border.

DS2 has food allergies and I always bring his own cake substitute to parties as he generally does not eat homemade food made by people I'm not close to. So I would definitely check with the parent of the food allergic child as you may not have to deal with their food at all.

That aside, I have no problem eating homemade.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I've done Costco the last two years because it's just easy, and most seem to like it. Plus it's really cheap for the size. Ours will allow some special requests even though it isn't on the order form. Last year I asked for them to just do clouds and the text. Then I added a couple of planes that I purchased. This year I asked for an all blue cake and text because I got a Nemo cake topper (the stingray with nemo and squirt on top). The lady went all out and did an underwater scene complete with craham cracker crumb sand around the sides. ETA: If you're going to add your own items on after then you may want to let them know the size. I outlinded the planes and the stingray on the back of my order form and drew a diagram for placement so that they would leave room.
    Last edited by indigo99; 10-24-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD's party is tomorrow and we are doing Costco cake this time. Its so convinient to order and pick up plus its at half the cost of the local cake shop we usually go to. Moreover kids I am not sure really detect subtle differences in taste anyways where they are occupied with other things.

Homemade for a crowd is definitely not my cup of tea, my baking skills are nowhere that good!
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2