Default Adult Chickenpox Vaccine

Hi moms, I hope you can help me. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and blood work shows that I am not immune to chickenpox. So, that really surprised because when my daughter was 2 years old, I ended up getting Varicella vaccine, plus booster one month later. I thought I was completely good to go for my second pregnancy, because I had it done. I'm surprised that my body rejected this vaccine. Any insight moms? Thank you so much
    DD 11/10
    New arrival Spring 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MomNov1 View Post
    Hi moms, I hope you can help me. I'm 8 weeks pregnant and blood work shows that I am not immune to chickenpox. So, that really surprised because when my daughter was 2 years old, I ended up getting Varicella vaccine, plus booster one month later. I thought I was completely good to go for my second pregnancy, because I had it done. I'm surprised that my body rejected this vaccine. Any insight moms? Thank you so much
    I was not immune to chicken pox when I had blood work done between our first and second babies. I was vaccinated again and I seem to be immune now but when I was pregnant with DD blood work showed I wasn't immune to rubella.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

not all vaccines work. My sister and cousin have had multiple MMR's and are still coming up w/ no immunity to rubella. As for Chicken pox. 3 of min had the vaccine all 4 have had chicken pox. I'd try it again after you have the baby then wait 6 months after your 2nd shot ( not a booster its a 2nd shot) and get a titer drawn again. You may just not hold a immunity with the vaccine.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had the same thing happen - twice! Got the varicella vax and booster before trying to get pg with dd1. When they checked my immunity/antibodies between pregnancies, I showed no antibodies. So I got the two shots again. Same thing!

for Sandy Hook

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think some people will just ever develop immunity. When I was a kid, My best friend caught the chicken pox 3 times before we were teenagers. (This was way before the vaccine.). The doctors told her she would probably never gain immunity from it. She had an aunt who was the same way.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    not all vaccines work...
    For all people. The reason there a certain percentage "effective rate" (usually in the mud to high 90%'s) is because some people don't develop immunity even with multiple doses of a vaccine, while others show immunity with just one dose.

I would guess that a lot of that has to do with genetics, so if there are members of your family who haven't responded to a vaccine the odds are higher that you might experience the same thing.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it. I have been reading about "non-converters", people who just do not respond to certain vacinness and their immune system rejects it. I'll try again after this pregnancy, if it does not work... I'll let it go. Thanks so much!
    DD 11/10
    New arrival Spring 2015

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Talk to your doc about using an antiviral if you would be exposed. I never had chicken pox as a child and was one of the first to have the vaccine. Yrs later the second dose recommendation came out. I was working with immune compromised kids do they did a titer and it showed immunity. The second dose catches some of those who don't respond to the first. I haven't had any additional titers done. I have discussed use of an antiviral in the past with my physician.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I had the same thing happen - twice! Got the varicella vax and booster before trying to get pg with dd1. When they checked my immunity/antibodies between pregnancies, I showed no antibodies. So I got the two shots again. Same thing!
    I didn't get a chance to complete what I meant to say here. My siblings and dad and I have all had the same experience (dad hasn't been vaxed, but my sibs have and titers showed no antibodies). I have been in situations where I've been in close contact w people who came down with CP within 24 hours. Still didn't get it. We have wondered if we have some kind of genetic immunity, although you'd think we would show antibodies when tested. Crossing my fingers I have some natural immunity and won't be badly afflicted if I ever get exposed as an adult!

for Sandy Hook