hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default anyone have long term care insurance?

Any btdt? Not sure if now is the right time but just wondering if anyone has Long Term Care Insurance, why you have it, how old you are etc.
    Thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I plan on getting it, yes.
    After seeing the care and $ involved with my mother, I want to have insurance so that is taken care of in the event I need to also have full-time care.
    I am 39. I plan to do it as soon as I get around to it.
    DD
    DS

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default anyone have long term care insurance?

Yes, I have it through work, which makes it accessible, and I started it when I was a bit younger so it is affordable. I've chosen to pay more and up the coverage twice (I'm given this choice once every three years) to keep up with inflation. Unfortunately DH did not qualify for health reasons through two different insurance companies my employer has used, so he doesn't have any coverage. I'm 44 now and started with. LTC insurance 7 or 8 years ago when my employer first offered it. I chose to get it because it covers different types of care, covers expenses other insurance doesn't cover, the probability of needing it at some point is fairly high for everyone, it is cheaper to get it when younger, and I might not have qualified for health reasons for private LTC insurance on my own later (we don't have the option of enrolling in LTC insurance every year, it was pretty much a one shot deal).
    Last edited by JElaineB; 10-25-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added info

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    Yes, I have it through work, which makes it accessible, and I started it when I was a bit younger so it is affordable. I've chosen to pay more and up the coverage twice (I'm given this choice once every three years) to keep up with inflation. Unfortunately DH did not qualify for health reasons through two different insurance companies my employer has used, so he doesn't have any coverage. I'm 44 now and started with. LTC insurance 7 or 8 years ago when my employer first offered it. I chose to get it because it covers different types of care, covers expenses other insurance doesn't cover, the probability of needing it at some point is fairly high for everyone, it is cheaper to get it when younger, and I might not have qualified for health reasons for private LTC insurance on my own later (we don't have the option of enrolling in LTC insurance every year, it was pretty much a one shot deal).
    Similar situation here. DH and I both work at a university that started offering it five or so years ago. We both got it and it was offered to our parents too. My mom got it but my dad's health made it very expensive, so he didn't. I can't recall if MIL did or didn't. (FIL is deceased.) I was <40 when I got it and pay around $120-125 every quarter. DH is a couple of years older and his payment is slightly higher. It gives me some peace of mind.