Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newmomto1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Hormone Replacement for Perimeno / Menopause, anybody?????

Just curious if anyone here has done hormone replacement therapy for perimenopausal or menopausal symptoms?
    If so, hoping you could share your experience with me.
    I am wondering if:
    It helped?
    Any side effects?
    Thx!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but an ob/gyn recommended this and I use it

http://www.emerita.com/pro-gest-reg-cream-4-oz.html

You can get it a lot cheaper on amazon and other places. It has worked wonders for me. I had no energy at all, and that is much improved. I can't remember what else was going on with me, but I just know I felt terrible and feel tons better with this. It makes some people sleepy and my ob/gyn recommended only using it at night if this is the case for you. Ihave not had any side effects.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One person I know is taking Brisdelle which is the only non hormonal therapy for Menopause. She's been very happy with it but I don't remember what she said the side effects were if any. One of my close friends is taking a super mild anti-depressant for her night sweats (her only perimenopause symptom) and she's been very happy with it so far. I don't remember the name of it but I can ask her since I see her every day at work. She only gets the night sweats right before her period and it's basically almost totally eliminated them. My mom is taking evestra and estrovan (not sure if I'm spelling them right) and she says they aren't working for her since she still gets hot flashes. I am hoping I am not unlucky like her as she has had hot flashes since menopause which was a looooong time ago. She was taking hormones but stopped bc of the breast cancer risk.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but an ob/gyn recommended this and I use it

You can get it a lot cheaper on amazon and other places. It has worked wonders for me. I had no energy at all, and that is much improved. I can't remember what else was going on with me, but I just know I felt terrible and feel tons better with this. It makes some people sleepy and my ob/gyn recommended only using it at night if this is the case for you. Ihave not had any side effects.
    Do you use daily or just second half of cycle? And how do you determine dosing? I want to try this but my doc is not on board. She out me on BCPs a few mos ago because I was bordering in hemorrhaging with my period. I do not want to remain on them long term, they make me feel like crap and I've gainer a bunch of weight/bloating since starting them. Want to wean off and go more natural since we don't need the pg prevention aspect of "the pill".

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    One person I know is taking Brisdelle which is the only non hormonal therapy for Menopause. She's been very happy with it but I don't remember what she said the side effects were if any. One of my close friends is taking a super mild anti-depressant for her night sweats (her only perimenopause symptom) and she's been very happy with it so far. I don't remember the name of it but I can ask her since I see her every day at work. She only gets the night sweats right before her period and it's basically almost totally eliminated them. My mom is taking evestra and estrovan (not sure if I'm spelling them right) and she says they aren't working for her since she still gets hot flashes. I am hoping I am not unlucky like her as she has had hot flashes since menopause which was a looooong time ago. She was taking hormones but stopped bc of the breast cancer risk.
    Odd. That's the same chemical as Paxil antidepressant. I wonder what about it helps hot flashes? Tho given the choice I'd prob go for hormones (bio identical) over Paxil. Doesn't seem a very benign substitute.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just went on the pill again. Worked wonders periods regulated not has heavy and no other symptoms im 47
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What symptoms were people having? I get hot flashes but sometimes they last a long time, not just a flash. I'm 48 so the age for perimenopause but I'm wondering if that's really it.

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Glad to see this. Funny bc I had just ordered some of this from Amazon early this week, after reading about anger/rage as a perimenopause symptom (I just thought I was losing my mind, lol). I ordered single application packets so I wouldn't have to worry too much about dosage amounts at first (that being said I've read that you may have to adjust your dosage once you see how it's working.). I did a bunch of reading online (googled bio identical progesterone) and saw the suggestion is to start using on cycle day 12 up until you get your period, and to rotate application sites, so I'm starting in a few days - fingers crossed it helps!!!
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    Do you use daily or just second half of cycle? And how do you determine dosing? I want to try this but my doc is not on board. She out me on BCPs a few mos ago because I was bordering in hemorrhaging with my period. I do not want to remain on them long term, they make me feel like crap and I've gainer a bunch of weight/bloating since starting them. Want to wean off and go more natural since we don't need the pg prevention aspect of "the pill".
    I use it daily, except for about 8 days/month starting on the day I get my period. If I skip/am late, then I stop taking it when I would have gotten my period if my cycle had been regular. Basically, I follow the instructions that come with it, which were the same as my dr recommended. As far as dosage, I think my dr's recommendation was also the same as the instructions with the package--it is something like 1/8 or 1/4 of a teaspoon or something like that...I measured a couple of times and now estimate, so that's why I don't remember how much. I only take the nighttime dose, don't do one in the morning. It has made a world of difference for me.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I use it daily, except for about 8 days/month starting on the day I get my period. If I skip/am late, then I stop taking it when I would have gotten my period if my cycle had been regular. Basically, I follow the instructions that come with it, which were the same as my dr recommended. As far as dosage, I think my dr's recommendation was also the same as the instructions with the package--it is something like 1/8 or 1/4 of a teaspoon or something like that...I measured a couple of times and now estimate, so that's why I don't remember how much. I only take the nighttime dose, don't do one in the morning. It has made a world of difference for me.
    Thank you. Can I ask if you were having bleeding issues or just hot flashes, etc? I am jealous of people who can be on the pill with no side effects!! It is the only time in my life that I feel BETTER the week I'm on my period because I'm not taking them. By the 3rd placebo day I feel so much better, less bloated, boobs not huge and sore, more energy. I am seriously miserable on the pill. The only thing I like is knowing when AF will show and slightly lighter flow. Otherwise I hate everything about being on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast