azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Diabetes diagnosis

I recently had my a1c and it came back diabetic at 6.5 which is .1 over the level for pre-diabetes. Are they going to make me take something for it or will they give me a chance to clean up my act? I'm anxious to find out - my appointment is not until 11/6.

Thanks!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know what they will do but why not use the time between now and then to see what you can do at home. You may be able to tilt the scales in your favor by taking a proactive stance. Eta my diabetes knowledge is limited, as DH's issues stem from pancreatitis so it is a little different.
    Last edited by MamaMolly; 10-27-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

My husband was given time to change his ways before starting medication. I went to the library checked out a ton of books and ended up with Dr. Whitaker's Reversing Diabetes. I needed a spelled out plan of what to feed him. I had been the super whole grain cook from scratch person. My husband has lowered his A1C so he is monitored but not medicated.
    2 boys 2 girls

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just ordered this book last night and it gets great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-.../dp/0316182699
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dr. Bernstein's book is great. DH has put his type 2 diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Also check out this website: Blood Sugar 101, looks a little messy at first, but lots of good info, especially on diabetes drugs. Metformin is a good drug. Insulin if you really need it is fine. But pretty much all of the other type 2 diabetes drugs are bad news.

Thanks for the recommendations, books and websites! Very helpful. I am reading Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live right now. I guess they will give me a meter to check blood sugar at my appointment? I guess I'll find out. I'm going to lobby hard for a chance to clean things up. Of course, I've done some damage with all the Halloween candy around. Guess I should be getting rid of that, stat! Thanks again.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

So I had my appointment today. Very nice doctor. Said I actually needed a second "diabetic" a1c to be officially diagnosed, so I'm going to be in a pre-diabetes class, and they gave me some targets to shoot for as far as checking blood glucose (and a meter, although the test strips are REALLY expensive and I'm not sure insurance covers them). I have a follow up visit in February, so they'll probably want another a1c then, and hopefully it will have dropped to the pre-diabetic range again... I really hope I can survive the holidays on a DIET. Boo. But I guess there's no time like the present to get things in order, health-wise!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Did you go to an endocrinologist? Have they tested your fasting glucose?

I believe the strips and meters at walmart (walmart brand) are more affordable if you are paying out of pocket.

I would be asking ALOT of questions to your providers about going on metformin. ALOT!! Right now the data seems to be showing that people should start metformin earlier than they do and they should start insulin earlier than they do. Once the damage has been done to your vascular system it can't be undone. My a1c is 5.3 which is pretty normal but with my family history and gest diabetes I have even discussed metformin with my provider. Metformin is pretty darn benign and long-tested.

What were your instructions for glucose testing? Are you testing 1 hour or 2 hours post meal?

Do you have weight to lose?

I am not trying to overwhelm you but you need IMO to address this as thoroughly as possible. Lose any weight you need to lose. Add in exercise or EVEN BETTER just walk or ideally climb stairs for 10-15 minutes right after each meal (I don't manage this 3x per day but I do it after my bigger and relatively more carb heavy lunch and dinner meals, breakfast I keep very routinized and extremely low carb). Go to an endocrinologist who demands "tight control" and is oriented toward preventative and proactive treatment.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm late to reply, but I just wanted to mention that exercise is extremely helpful. Diet matters too, but exercise has a huge impact on how your own insulin works in your body. If you are not active 5 days a week, try to increase your exercise, with a goal of 5 days a week, 1 hr per day (can be split into multiple sessions if needed).
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.