Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that you absolutely did the right thing. I am confused as to why the special ed coordinator and the case manager didn't take things in hand though. That isn't a good sign.

I'm sure creating the checklists is extra work for him, and as a new teacher he was hoping he wouldn't have to do it. But after several instances of being told to and not doing it, that's a pretty blatant violation. The one time I have contacted a principal about 504 accommodations not being followed, the principal was all over it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you want to keep track of the incident and conversation, you can write a nice email to the teacher summarizing the conversation and thanking him for starting the checklists. You can get everything in there, and then thank him and express how helpful the checklist already is. That way you get everything in there without make him feel like you are rehashing the whole thing.

I can't believe that he was complaining about it to another teacher, especially within earshot of your DD. How unprofessional!

The handwritten journal is a great strategy. I will keep that in mind in case we ever need to do that.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think an email is sufficient if you are trying to document the last part of what happened - that the teacher finally got on board. But it's going be hard to include everything from start to finish (ie your repeated attempts to resolve this without action) in that email, as well as your daughter's report of the teacher talking poorly about you.

Ideally what you really want to have in there are the dates and times of all of your communications, ie 9/1/14 - Face to Face conversation with Principal Smith, said he would speak to Teacher Mr. Jones about providing a checklist as required by IEP. 9/14/14 - Still no checklists coming home. Sent email to Principal Smith. Etc, etc.

The Wrightslaw 'From Emotions to Advocacy' book has 'Contact Log' forms you can look at. You could even create a spreadsheet as a contact log and then fill it in by hand. Obviously OP you have to do what feels best to you, just reporting what Mr. Wright said.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    I
    The Wrightslaw 'From Emotions to Advocacy' book has 'Contact Log' forms you can look at. You could even create a spreadsheet as a contact log and then fill it in by hand. Obviously OP you have to do what feels best to you, just reporting what Mr. Wright said.

Thanks, I will go look at this book again! I have been able to take it out of the library, so have never had to buy it.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by inmypjs View Post
    I

Have you seen the other Wrightslaw books such as IEPs (may have a subtitle, not sure) and Special Education Law? I was getting ready to order From Emotions to Advocacy as it is currently checked out at my library and I feel I need this now and saw these other books listed.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Have you seen the other Wrightslaw books such as IEPs (may have a subtitle, not sure) and Special Education Law? I was getting ready to order From Emotions to Advocacy as it is currently checked out at my library and I feel I need this now and saw these other books listed.
    From Emotions to Advocacy (FETA) is a great book. I use it a ton and I personally find it the most helpful of all the Wrightslaw books. The Smart IEP book and the (new) Testing & Assessments book are really good too. They are in the same style: Q&A format, clear explanations, and a quick read. I find the Smart IEPS book to be a good thing to look through when prepping for an IEP meeting. DS is up for his triennial re-evals this year, so I just got the Testing & Assessments book. It's very helpful for understanding the different tests, what they measure, how they are scored, etc.

The Special Education Law book is a little different from the others. It's not really meant to be read cover to cover. It's more of a reference book, with the actual texts of the laws pertaining to special education: IDEA, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, NCLB, FERPA, relevant legal cases, etc. In the Wrightslaw Advocacy Training class (available on DVD if you can't go to one in person), Pete teaches you how to use this book to find the parts of the law you need to settle disputes with the school.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Thanks, Gena!
    Hmmn, now to decide what to spend my money on and how much! It actually sounds like the dvd and Special Education Law book may be what I need.

Well, I bought the Spec. Ed. Law book using the Amazon 30% off coupon that expired today. Her IEP goals are already good, its just a matter of getting the IEP implemented, so I thought this one would be the best fit. Gena, do you think it is possible to benefit from this without the dvd or does the dvd really help a lot?

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Well, I bought the Spec. Ed. Law book using the Amazon 30% off coupon that expired today. Her IEP goals are already good, its just a matter of getting the IEP implemented, so I thought this one would be the best fit. Gena, do you think it is possible to benefit from this without the dvd or does the dvd really help a lot?
    Sorry for the delayed reply - it's been a busy week and I just saw this. I think it's best to attend a training or watch the DVD. However, you can benefit from the book without that. Don't expect to just read the book cover to cover. Go slow, pick one law to start with (probably IDEA), read the sections that seem most important to you and your child, there's often good info in the footnotes, and take notes.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

FWIW the training is really good!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2