Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hit and Run Kills Three Girls While Treat-or-Tricking

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/01/us/hal...html?hpt=hp_t1

http://abc7.com/news/santa-ana-hit-r...eating/375981/

This makes me both sad and angry. One family has lost two daughters in a blink of an eye, and I pray the 3rd wasn't a daughter too. The fact that those in the car ran makes me wish that they will be in a cell for a very long time.
    Last edited by ECMom; 11-01-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add another link

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is somewhat local to me. The third girl was a friend, not related to the twins. It is such a tragic story!!

Saw that on our news last night - not that far from us. Santa Ana's very densely populated. Poor families.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    This is somewhat local to me. The third girl was a friend, not related to the twins. It is such a tragic story!!
    Heart breaking for the two families. I let my 12 yr old go trick-or-treating with two 13 yr old friends last night without adult supervision. It was in our neighborhood of ~90 houses with no major roads. I wasn't 100% comfortable with it but felt it was time to loosen the strings. Hearing this story doesn't sit well. Ugh, parenting is hard!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is just so awful. How devastating!!! It's one of the reasons I hate that SO many cars drive through and drop kids off to ToT in our neighborhood - traffic is bad, it's dark, it's hard to see kids, people get rude when traffic is bad, you know adults like to incorporate drinking into Halloween festivities, etc. We actually went to a more secluded neighborhood to ToT with a friend this year and it was a far better experience, no cars driving through dropping off kids, etc - felt SO much safer.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It is the worst night of the year for driving. This happened at 6:45. Who in the heck is out driving without EXTREME caution at 6:45 on Halloween?

The story says the car drove off but was followed by witnesses. Good for them. I can't imagine what I'd do in that situation.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Hit and Run Kills Three Girls While Treat-or-Tricking

So sad. I drive through the lighted intersection closest to where the accident occurred everyday when I go to work. Soo sad. There are a few elementary schools and a middle school in the area and there are always parents walking their kids to school, even the middle schoolers. Everyone seems to look out for each other.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had to take DD to Urgent Care last night (croup--she's almost 7!?!?), and on the way home I was very aware of ToTers. In my neighborhood I was going no more than 15, and a boy looked as though he was going to walk right out in front of me. I stopped, but he waved me on. Parents were nearby but not paying attention.

Also, since I have a hybrid, going so slowly means I am in full electric mode and thus nearly silent. Not a good situation for kids who may be LISTENING for cars more than LOOKING.

Not fun to be out driving. At least it was on the way home, after he doctor said DD was okay, and not on the way when I was freaking out because she couldn't breathe. I definitely was distracted then.

I saw something about this story on the "teaser" for my local news but did not stay up to watch it and didn't see the details. So sad.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is right by my work as well, so so horrible.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I had to take DD to Urgent Care last night (croup--she's almost 7!?!?), and on the way home I was very aware of ToTers. In my neighborhood I was going no more than 15, and a boy looked as though he was going to walk right out in front of me. I stopped, but he waved me on. Parents were nearby but not paying attention.

Also, since I have a hybrid, going so slowly means I am in full electric mode and thus nearly silent. Not a good situation for kids who may be LISTENING for cars more than LOOKING.

Not fun to be out driving. At least it was on the way home, after he doctor said DD was okay, and not on the way when I was freaking out because she couldn't breathe. I definitely was distracted then.

I saw something about this story on the "teaser" for my local news but did not stay up to watch it and didn't see the details. So sad.
    My husband was just warning my kids about electric cars. I think it's not on most people's radar screens, but it will be within a few years.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast