Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How long are your public school parent-teacher conferences?

How long are your parent-teacher conferences and what is the focus (teacher concerns, parent concerns, test scores only, etc)?

I'm asking because I have been a parent in a total of 3 public schools. The first school (elementary) gave parents 5 minutes total to talk to 2 teachers (not each). They basically reported test scores. I was shocked. I just got the mailing from dd's current school (a middle school), it seems we can attend parent-teacher conference night where we can have a 10 minute conference with only one teacher (kids have 6 teachers) or request to receive brief e-mails or phone calls. Interesting concept. I guess I do appreciate that they don't drag me down there for nothing (like the first school I mentioned). The other school is an elementary public alternative school where I think they typically allow 25-30 minutes but will schedule with parents for any amount of time requested (so very different).

Please say if your school is elem. or middle (or even high school) when applying. Also, I am not trying to block private schools in any way, but I know there are often different issues in terms of time and resources with public schools.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

15 minutes - elementary. I think the high school has 7 mins per teacher, but I could be wrong on the time allocated. You get in line and rotate through as many teachers as you can / wish. Both public. DH teaches at a public high school and has a similar set up. He's also happy and willing to meet with parents at any time.

We are welcome to schedule separate meetings if we want to go into more detail. Ironically, I have a meeting scheduled with the teacher and principal the day after conferences. We're keeping the conference time though, so we can go over the overarching stuff (meeting is to sort out placement for one subject).

Elementary public school, 20 minutes per conference with main teacher. We go over the progress report for academic and behavioral areas, and then address any other concerns by parent(s) and/or teacher. Usually, I find this is enough time. 5 minutes to talk to 2 teachers is crazy!
    Mommy to DS 2007

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our elementary school conferences are scheduled in 30 minute blocks.

Conferences are not standard in MS or HS, but can be arranged on request. The 2 I have requested in MS lasted for most of the teacher's planning period, so about 50 minutes.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Our elementary we have 30 minutes each. During that time, they review each subject area and typically include reviewing some samples of the child's work and indicate where they are vs various benchmarks. They also discuss the social aspect of the classroom. They also allow time to address any questions the parent has. In Dd's 2nd conference last year we covered everything in about 10 minutes as she is my no worries child academically and typically socially so then the teacher asked for some thoughts regarding who I would like to or not see her with for in the following year's class (which you are typically not supposed to bring up with the teacher). I have both conferences today. I'm squeezing dd's in while one child is at soccer practice so hopefully the person in front of me is on time & does not go over. Even though they put up signs to knock if the prior conference goes over I am always hesitant to do so. I can't imagine how 5 minute conferences are worthwhile. That is sad that they don't allow more time.

Default How long are your public school parent-teacher conferences?

When I was in high school the teachers all set up tables in the main hallway and cafeteria, then parents went around and talked to whoever they wanted to for as long as they wanted to. It was first come first serve and sometimes there were short lines for some teachers. I was there a couple of conference days working on school newspaper stuff and it looked like some parents came but it was never too crowded. I don't think my parents ever went in high school. If I remember correctly, middle school did it the same way and my parents and I went to it together (which that school allowed/encouraged).

Edit: both were public schools. I think around 400 students in the middle school and 1500 in the high school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For my kindergartener, 25 minutes. For my 3rd grader, it was 15 minutes.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Public elementary school here. No scheduled conferences beyond Kindergarten. You can request a conference at any time, though.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

15 min blocks. Elementary school.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
    Elementary public school, 20 minutes per conference with main teacher. We go over the progress report for academic and behavioral areas, and then address any other concerns by parent(s) and/or teacher.
    Same with our elementary school.No scheduled conferences in middle school.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast