Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    I think she should be following the quarantine mandate. Even if she is not ill, I think her attitude is going to encourage others (who could be ill) to dismiss directives which are important and designed to protect us. Our healthcare workers need to be role models for the rest of us right now, and I think that includes following instructions.
    I see this in the opposite light. Imposing requirements that have no basis in fact makes people less likely to believe you and less likely to comply when it is important. Too many false alarms mean nobody believes the real ones.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    I see this in the opposite light. Imposing requirements that have no basis in fact makes people less likely to believe you and less likely to comply when it is important. Too many false alarms mean nobody believes the real ones.
    I agree with this. Christie, LePage, et al are doing nothing more than crying wolf.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    All the pro mandatory quarantine folks should be required to have flu shots if they normally refuse and not expose my family to reduced herd immunity. I'm not for mandatory quarantine automatically.
    It is sort of similar. Most hospitals do require their employees to get flu shots, even if they don't have direct patient contact.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Given that we are requiring others with direct contact with symptomatic patients to be on 21 day home quarantine (Duncan family, relatives and friends of Dallas nurses and Dr. Spencer), I think it is fair enough to ask returning workers to do the same. Returning troops are also on 21 day quarantine. It should be at home and should not preclude people from doing things outside (like bike riding) as long as they avoid other people.

Two weeks ago I would have answered differently. However, given Dr. Spencer's activities and the nurse who went bridesmaid dress shopping when not feeling well, it is clear that even healthcare workers won't necessarily act cautiously during the incubation period. People develop symptoms very quickly with ebola. Better safe than sorry, given the extraordinary cost of treating someone infected with ebola and tracing contacts. Patrick Sawyer, the American who showed symptoms while on a flight to Nigeria, infected a fair number of people.
    I totally agree with this. I think healthcare workers can get a bit cavalier--maybe they have to to cope with the risks and situation.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have yet to see ANY medical group, CDC, NIH, or otherwise, propose quarantining anyone who used personal protective equipment (PPE). Duncan's family was quarantined because they were fully exposed to someone in active infection. I don't know anyone who would disagree with that. What we have are politicians playing doctor and striking up fear. If you used PPE and monitor according to the CDC and DWB guidelines (take temp twice a day, notify officials at first sign of temp), there is absolutely no reason to quarantine anyone. The doctor who has recently been diagnosed did everything right...he self-monitored and as soon as he registered a slight temp, he stayed in his house and called the right people. He wasn't irresponsible at all. And I think it is a safe bet that there will be no one diagnosed because of him. The people who have been diagnosed weren't in casual contact at the start of a fever. They were up to their knees in vomit, stool, and blood during the worst of it.

On a personal note, I am proud to see a nurse finally taking a stand when being treated unfairly. We too often take the beating (hence the fast burnout rate of nurses). So to see someone knowledgable and willing to speak up is great. Plus she is showing society that there isn't as much to fear as the politicians are stirring up. Never mind that she has every medical bigwig in the US on her side. Politicians need to let medical people do their job and focus on their own problems.
    Last edited by icunurse; 10-30-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    I have yet to see ANY medical group, CDC, NIH, or otherwise, propose quarantining anyone who used personal protective equipment (PPE). Duncan's family was quarantined because they were fully exposed to someone in active infection. I don't know anyone who would disagree with that. What we have are politicians playing doctor and striking up fear. If you used PPE and monitor according to the CDC and DWB guidelines (take temp twice a day, notify officials at first sign of temp), there is absolutely no reason to quarantine anyone. The doctor who has recently been diagnosed did everything right...he self-monitored and as soon as he registered a slight temp, he stayed in his house and called the right people. He wasn't irresponsible at all. And I think it is a safe bet that their will be no one diagnosed because of him. The people who have been diagnosed weren't in casual contact at the start of a fever. They were up to their knees in vomit, stool, and blood during the worst of it.

the cdc is in charge. If they say quarantine do that if not don't. that is all.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've alrwady said it in the other thread, but I think the governors are out for cheap political points and have no basis in science.

21 day home quarantine is not something to take lightly. I would go insane.

And people who are for quarantine and against vaccines are...I can't think of a good word.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post

the cdc is in charge. If they say quarantine do that if not don't. that is all.
    Exactly. A medical directive that comes from a non-medically trained politician is not compelling to me. If the CDC changes its recommendations, I will pay attention. I would not go to Chris Christie for a broken bone or to diagnose my suspected case of the flu, so why would I go to him for recommendations on controlling Ebola?

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    I agree with this. Christie, LePage, et al are doing nothing more than crying wolf.
    Yes. They're making decisions based on what Fox News says, not medical experts.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    Yes. They're making decisions based on what Fox News says, not medical experts.
    Seriously you are blaming this on Fox news? Who is Andrew Cuomo listening too.... How about the State of California I can assure you they are not listening to Fox news. I know they are the GODS of the news industry but I dont think they have that much pull
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...antine-n234426
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...029-story.html
    Last edited by JBaxter; 10-30-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast