Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chalk Paint???

happi is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Chalk Paint???

Anyone use chalk paint to paint a table? I was wanting to try it. Just wondered if any of you had used it and what you thought about it.
    Thanks!!!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used it to paint an armoire. I really loved that I didn't have to do any sanding or priming before I painted, though I did sand afterward and waxing was kind of a pain in the rear. But overall, it's easy to use and really nice. And if distressing is your thing, that's super easy to do.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

I read somewhere online how to make your own by adding some sort of grout to regular paint. You may be able to find that with a search if you want. I haven't used it.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happi View Post
    Anyone use chalk paint to paint a table? I was wanting to try it. Just wondered if any of you had used it and what you thought about it.
    Thanks!!!
    Yes, I did and I loved it. I used a DIY recipe a la Annie Sloane. It used plaster of Paris. I've painted an ikea bed and a bed we built using unfinished wood of random varieties and ages and an antique dresser. The finish is crazy nice. It looks "factory", not "my garage".

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Yes, I did and I loved it. I used a DIY recipe a la Annie Sloane. It used plaster of Paris. I've painted an ikea bed and a bed we built using unfinished wood of random varieties and ages and an antique dresser. The finish is crazy nice. It looks "factory", not "my garage".
    A friend of mine who is an interior designer highly recommends this stuff. She took a glass-topped table done in golden oak which was straight out of the 1980's and totally transformed it. She used the Annie Sloane chalk paint on the oak portions and make the glass look like mercury-glass. It was gorgeous. The best part was that she said she didn't have to strip the wood before she used the chalk paint. She said she was impressed with how quick and easy it is to use. hth
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

After you paint your piece do you put any kind of finish on top of the paint?

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can you include some links to the colors you are thinking of using? I've had a table for a year waiting on a new life...so disgusted with the whitewash wood grain used up, bubbled up/burned/splattered/spilled on/ torn up Ethan Allen table we got from CL last year bc it was the right shape/functionality and nearly the right size. I need to add another piece of storage in there too, but I don't want it to see too matchy. The walls are beach glass. Ready to steal someone's color choices for chalk painted furniture!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did my kitchen table base and chairs in chalk paint. I absolutely love it, and I did the base and all 4 chairs in one full day. I used grey paint and a dark umber brown wax. I think the wax coat is necessary, otherwise the paint has a chalky feel and will scratch easily. I had the top of the table professionally refinished with wood stain, as that was the look that I was going for, and I was concerned that a chalk paint finish on the top would scratch too easily. However, I think there are other sealers that you can use to protect the top if you do go that direction. It is definitely worth a try in my opinion, and I'm not usually one that likes the outcome of most DIY projects.

I don't really have a color picked out, figured I would just go to Lowes and see what I have to choose from! One of the tables is for my son's room, so really don't know what color I'm looking for!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't checked recently, but when I last used chalk paint it was not available at Lowes or even regular paint stores. Around me it is sold in specialty boutiques or online. The wax is also different from regular wood waxes I believe as well, so it is sold with the chalk paint.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast