Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chalk Paint???

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    A friend of mine who is an interior designer highly recommends this stuff. She took a glass-topped table done in golden oak which was straight out of the 1980's and totally transformed it. She used the Annie Sloane chalk paint on the oak portions and make the glass look like mercury-glass. It was gorgeous. The best part was that she said she didn't have to strip the wood before she used the chalk paint. She said she was impressed with how quick and easy it is to use. hth
    you don't have a pic, do you? I'd love to see that!!

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    I haven't checked recently, but when I last used chalk paint it was not available at Lowes or even regular paint stores. Around me it is sold in specialty boutiques or online. The wax is also different from regular wood waxes I believe as well, so it is sold with the chalk paint.
    Right. You can search from the Annie Sloan website to find a retailer near you. I am planning on painting a few things around my house, but just haven't gotten around to it yet, or can't decide on the color. There are some great tutorials on YouTube, too.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For Annie Sloan paint, you finish it with wax -- either a clear wax or a dark one that settles in creases/cracks/details and contributes to a distressed look. The wax is necessary, especially for a table, since one of the hallmarks of chalk paint is that it is very easily sanded off and if unprotected, daily use will wear the paint down.

The waxing process takes a while. You apply a tiny bit of wax with a brush, then buff it with a soft cloth. If you overwax, your piece will remain tacky and won't cure right.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I used a recipe to make my own chalk paints and regular paint from Home Depot. You can use grout, calcium carbonate, or plaster of paris.

http://inmyownstyle.com/diy-chalk-paint-recipes, there are a zillion recipes out there.

I mixed well with a drill mixer.

I used the Americana Decor line of chalk paint at Home Depot. I had to order online because the in-store selection is very limited. I painted my daughter's dresser and it was a fast process. I used the clear wax from the same line. I have a china cabinet that I plan to paint next.
    Mom to DS (3/08), DD (12/09)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I used a recipe to make my own chalk paints using regular paint from Home Depot. You can mix in grout, calcium carbonate, or plaster of paris.

http://inmyownstyle.com/diy-chalk-paint-recipes, there are a zillion recipes out there.

I mixed well with a drill mixer.
    I used regular finishing wax from Minwax. I did do approx 4 light coats. The finish gets better and better with the wax.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in the process of doing a table now. I'm using some locally made stuff from a local boutique - mainly because it was quicker to run around the corner than to go out to Home Depot and buy the stuff to make my own. We're using a deep blue that they call peacock blue.

I haven't finished it yet, but bought a clear coat that they sell for it instead of the wax. I love the way the wax looks but the reality is that it will be a high traffic area and I didn't feel the wax would be sufficient. The instructions said not to use the wax it it will be subject to spills.

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've used Annie Sloan on many things. It is great paint. CeCe Caldwell is another nice line. You do need to find a distributor--look on the AS website for locations. For small projects like a chair or a child's table/chairs, you can just use a $15 sample jar. A larger can is $40 and can be used on tables, dressers, etc. I'd recommend watching some tutorials on youtube.

You don't have to wax. It depends on what you are painting and the look you are trying to achieve. I actually rarely use the wax... used a matte poly on a coffee table and a rocking chair because these pieces will get a lot of heavy use. Waxed furniture does have to be re-waxed over time, so think about that, too. I think AS now has a top coat alternative to the wax. You will need to do something to protect the furniture after you wax.

Have fun! It is easy to paint with--doesn't show paint strokes, and dries in just a few minutes. A friend of mine has jumped on the wagon and is making extra income selling painted furniture. Hot trend right now!

I have totally missed this trend, save for seeing"chalk paint" advertised once or twice and wondering what it was. I have two furniture painting projects in mind right now, one a twin headboard and two night stands. All are already painted. What is the advantage of chalk paint over just painting over it as is? I thought Zinnser primer was awesome and would stick to anything, enabling you to then paint anything. If so, then why use chalk paint, especially if it forces a final finishing step of either wax or clear coat or both?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    I haven't checked recently, but when I last used chalk paint it was not available at Lowes or even regular paint stores. Around me it is sold in specialty boutiques or online. The wax is also different from regular wood waxes I believe as well, so it is sold with the chalk paint.

Your are correct.

I'm a ptg contractor - lowes / hd doesn't carry it. Far as I know there are only specific formulas/colors that u can get with that Annie Sloan stuff. Must be the Sloan product base to make it. A local vintage shop here sells it...and there's online sales.

It is PRICEY! Like really pricey.

When I distress stuff I use my leftover paint from jobs and re purpose it. I could add unsanded grout to it or some other variations of homeade chaulk pt. I use flat instead to make the semi dull down (if thats what I'm using). And if u use a semi or eggshell u don't need to seal bc it's already In tHere!

It's not the Sloan product I know but I have done it for years this way and it works great.

I just re ptd a dresser for dd2 & a bookcase. Looks great. I also reused the ugly wood pulls by spraying them with glitter pt. At that vintage store downtown that would cost me a good $425!!!

I have a china hutch coming soon and it will be distressed too. Not crazy distressed just worn in and loved
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

happi is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

NookNookMom, I don't know where you live at, but where I live Lowe's does carry Chalkboard paint AND they can tint it many different colors. You just need to look for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast