meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Q re: freezing ginger cookie dough

I am making ginger spice cookies (so, so good, BTW - recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Cookies-103156). I have made them many times in the past but have never frozen the dough. I assume since they are baked in a ball form, I should put them in the ball shape on a sheet pan and freeze them that way and then transfer to a ziploc.

Here is my question - before baking they are rolled in sugar. Is this something I should do before freezing or something I should do when I decide to bake them? Do you defrost the balls before baking or bake frozen? I have never used any type of frozen dough!

TIA!!

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would wait to roll the cookies in sugar. I would be afraid that the sugar would melt into the dough ball. I've always baked from frozen, just baked them a little longer.

I'm always on the lookout for a good ginger cookie, so I'll have to check these out!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, trentsmom! I will wait to roll in sugar once I am ready to bake.

And they are really good cookies!! Very spicy, if you like that. My kids love them too. The most tedious part of the recipe is chopping/dicing the crystallized ginger. Enjoy!