sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default 4.5 yo and newborn... City living... Stroller recommendation?

We have a (broken) First Years Indigo and a single Bob. I don't know if I should get a double. We live in the city and walk a lot and also travel a lot. I'm trying to think logistically but am just not sure. I currently use the Bob as a luggage cart while my 4yo pulls her Rollie bag in the airport.. But when she's tired she still rides.

Thoughts? Should I get a double? Side by side or front back? Or rumble?seat? Other? Or a different single? So confused.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about a rider board for your Bob? That might be the easiest and most cost-effective solution, unless your older DC needs to/wants to sit instead of stand.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would just plan on wearing the newborn, and likely by the time you're ready to stop wearing the baby your older child will be ready to walk regularly. If not, I'd agree with the rider board. I wouldn't want to push a double with such a big kid in it, and I think the rider board encourages them to walk sometimes.

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't know you could get a rider board for the Bob. That sounds like a good solution. My DD does like to sit sometimes when we fly, and has had meltdown level tantrums over this in the past (as in 2 weeks ago). I don't mind wearing the newborn, but when we fly I feel like I have so much to deal with, it's nice to be able to not carry anything at all. Oh, I'm single, so there is practically never someone traveling with me other than children.

I did wear DD most of the time when we flew when she was tiny, and push everything else in the stroller. I'm just a little afraid of how it will go with 2. I know I can do it, but I like to be set up logistically for things to go relatively smoothly.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I didn't know you could get a rider board for the Bob. That sounds like a good solution. My DD does like to sit sometimes when we fly, and has had meltdown level tantrums over this in the past (as in 2 weeks ago). I don't mind wearing the newborn, but when we fly I feel like I have so much to deal with, it's nice to be able to not carry anything at all. Oh, I'm single, so there is practically never someone traveling with me other than children.

I did wear DD most of the time when we flew when she was tiny, and push everything else in the stroller. I'm just a little afraid of how it will go with 2. I know I can do it, but I like to be set up logistically for things to go relatively smoothly.
    I flew alone with 2. A 2.5 year old and infant. Either wear baby or put in car seat in stroller. Put older kid on ride on board. Fly with a back pack only. When you get to the gate put baby in carrier. Makes it easier to board. People are always nice and will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The feature I liked the most about the BOB was that an older child can hop a ride in the wheel well when they are tired of walking. Great solution instead of a double in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    The feature I liked the most about the BOB was that an older child can hop a ride in the wheel well when they are tired of walking. Great solution instead of a double in the city.
    I was actually wondering about that. I just bought a double bob (haven't even gotten it yet) and was wondering how strict i should be with my 4 and 5.5 yo on "hopping a ride." In terms of safety, isn't that a problem? What happens if I hit a big bump without bracing them? I'm just imagining what would happen!

We now have a MBUD and I never let them go on the foot rest, but OTOH it is MUCH shallower than the BOB, too.

What do ppl do? And is it really not a safety issue?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmommy View Post
    I would just plan on wearing the newborn, and likely by the time you're ready to stop wearing the baby your older child will be ready to walk regularly.
    This. DD1 was 4 when DD2 was born. I wore DD2 and DD2 walked while the stroller carried groceries or whatever. I did find the car seat frame invaluable - baby falls asleep in the infant seat in the car and you pop the seat out and stick it into the stroller frame. I wouldn't buy a double.

Super excited for you!

for Sandy Hook

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

also, some airlines have strict limits on the size of a double stroller. so a stroller big enough for your older child may be too big to fly with.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)