bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Safety tips for big kids sleeping in the car?

We're planning a road trip for late December. I have four kids and three of them will be able to ride fully harnessed (in a RA55, RN100 and GN), therefore "safe" if we choose to drive at night. However, DS1 is 11 and way too big even for a booster seat (boosters make him too high to fit the shoulder belt properly). Is there anyway to drive so that he is safely "belted"? I drive a Honda Odyssey. I thought maybe I could put him in a captain's chair that I recline or more than slightly?

TIA!

My dd hasn't gotten into our Cardiff, but I have two at the ready for our next trip, and it gets great reviews... http://www.amazon.com/Cardiff-1363-B...rdiff+headrest
    Otherwise, yeah, recline the seat a little, give him a pillow or two, maybe put him next to another FF seat to lean against?
    My son was so uncomfortable at that age on one of our trips (he still fit in the Frontier, but it was too big to bring for some reason, he was really grouchy at me, lol), I think he ended up draped over the cooler buckled into the seat next to him....
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

that looks awesome...I want one for my seat!
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)