Thread: HBB help!

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default HBB help!

I am clueless with HBB so any help/guidance would be appreciated. We're planning on passing down DD's Frontier 85 (I think) to DS1 soon when his Blvd expires. DD will be 7 in April and weighs about 53 lbs, about 50 in tall maybe. She's still using the harness on the Frontier. I think we're ready to "unharness" her and get her a HBB but I am so confused on how these work. We have a 2010 Ody that doesn't have latch in the third row where she will be. How do you keep the seat in place when she's not in it. Doesn't it become a projectile?? What's the safest option? Move her to the middle row with latch?

Finally, can anyone offer some recommendations for HBB? Are there any convert to just the seat that are good for later use? Does this option even matter since those type of seats seems to be so inexpensive? DS1 (BLVD) is almost 5 and DS2 (Marathon) will be 3 early next year. Both their seats will be expiring next year so I'm thinking I will need to buy another convertible or HBB with harness for DS2, as well. Is 3.5 yo is too young for a HBB?

Did you see the sticky at the top with the booster reviews?
    A booster doesn't need LATCH, they all recommend that you buckle up an unoccupied one, though personally if there's no one next to it I tend to leave it unbuckled (I suppose that's bad, but it's foam-covered plastic, I don't fear it <blush at my own complacency>)
    Parkway is a good one for that back seat, I think. Graco Safety Surround is nice, too, for more petite kids. Some other seats are also really nice, but bulkier, like the Diono Cambria or Recaro Performance.
    Yeah, don't worry too much about backless conversion, dedicated backless ones are cheaper, lighter, cuter, and it's nice to have an extra on hand at this age when you never know if you might need it for her in another car or for a friend packing in with you
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Did you see the sticky at the top with the booster reviews?
    A booster doesn't need LATCH, they all recommend that you buckle up an unoccupied one, though personally if there's no one next to it I tend to leave it unbuckled (I suppose that's bad, but it's foam-covered plastic, I don't fear it <blush at my own complacency>)
    Parkway is a good one for that back seat, I think. Graco Safety Surround is nice, too, for more petite kids. Some other seats are also really nice, but bulkier, like the Diono Cambria or Recaro Performance.
    Yeah, don't worry too much about backless conversion, dedicated backless ones are cheaper, lighter, cuter, and it's nice to have an extra on hand at this age when you never know if you might need it for her in another car or for a friend packing in with you
    Thanks Jools.